Before you begin your Assignment, take some time to complete the Documenting your Research Activity, which will explore the different types of documents used to communicate your legal research and the basic format of a memo.
During a recent visit, Ms. Maya Weste, a current client of the firm, expressed an interest in carrying a concealed handgun in your state. She has never operated a firearm before, but she has recently become concerned about her personal safety. She was divorced three months ago after her husband discovered she had been cheating on him with another man. He did not handle the situation well. He never physically abused her, but he has been very angry with her. He has recently made some statements like “you’ll get what’s coming to you someday!” that could be considered vague threats. She is afraid that his anger will build to the point where he might try to cause her physical harm. She is not interested in obtaining a restraining order because she feels that it is just “a useless piece of paper.” She tells you that in any case, “it is better to be safe than sorry, and a handgun levels the playing field if he tries to do anything stupid.” Ms. Weste has no criminal record and has no prior mental illness. She would like to purchase and carry a handgun for her own protection.
Your supervising attorney, Rolle Model, has asked you to research the questions Ms. Weste presented in her recent call. Please research the requirements for purchasing a handgun in your jurisdiction. She would also like to know whether any sort of permit is needed to carry the handgun concealed on one’s person. If so, she would like to know how one could obtain this a permit. Please prepare an interoffice memorandum addressing the purchase of a handgun in your jurisdiction. Be sure to research and cite to the statutes and any rules or regulations within your jurisdiction related to this issue. Summarize the steps necessary to obtain a handgun and to carry it concealed. Please use the below heading in your memorandum and address it to your supervising attorney, Rolle Model. Be sure to include headings throughout to clearly identify each section of the memorandum.
In addition to fulfilling the specifics of the Assignment, a successful paper must also meet the following criteria:
- Length should be 2-3 pages, excluding cover page and references page.
- Double-spaced and in a 12-point font.
- Appropriate headings and memorandum structure should be used.
- Keep tone professional by avoiding I or We statements.
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained.
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics.
- Appropriate Bluebook citation style should be followed.