Industry and Occupation Research Memo Assignment
Begin this discussion by reviewing the assignment instructions for Project #3. Attach the job posting you have chosen for Project #3 to your response to this discussion.
Next conduct research on the industry in which your job posting falls. This research should be found from the SDSU Library as well as sources online related to your chosen industry. To find industry information in the library, focus on databases including Business Source Premier, IBIS World, and Mergent Online. Look for other business related databases as well that can help you in your search.
As you research focus on any information that might help you to better tailor your resume and cover letter to the job you are seeking. You can also look for information that might be helpful in a job interview. More specifically, your memo needs to contain information on:
- The size, location, and customers of the organization you are targeting in Project #3
- A brief history of the company (you can usually find this on their website)
- Basic information on the occupation—accountant, manger, lab tech, etc. (look for this in the Occupational Outlook Handbook)
- Industry information (IBIS World in the SDSU Library)
- Typical industry products and services
- A brief overview of industry performance
- A brief overview of the industry outlook
Other Guidelines on Industry and Occupation Research Memo:
- Your assignment should be in standard memo format
- Single spaced, no indentations in paragraphs—just a space in between paragraphs
- 2 pages
- Business writing style—direct, concise, clear
- Use APA or MLA to cite your sources
As usual, at least two responses to classmates are needed in order to be eligible for full points. In your responses to classmates, you may wish to respond to:
- The format and content of their memo
- The industry or job posting chosen
- Interesting or relevant information that may help them tailor their resume or cover letter
- Any suggestions or insights about the job or the industry chosen
Submit your memo as a PDF or MS Word attachment to this discussion.
Be sure to also attach the job posting you have chosen for Project #3.
Last Updated on July 20, 2020 by EssayPro