For this week’s assignment, you will build a course in Canvas based upon the curriculum objectives and learning assets for the organization in the previous assignment.
Instructions Part 1: In the LMS, complete the following:
1 Create a course using your previously identified curriculum objectives.
• The course can be short and simple depending on the topic and curriculum of your course.
• The goal is to test whether the assets work functionally in the LMS.
2 Upload your learning assets into the course.
3 Invite your instructor to participate in the course as an instructor.
Part 2: Write a 4–6-page paper in which you:
- Explain the method and process that you used for uploading and maintaining your assets into the LMS. For example, determining where to place the assets and in what order.
- Explain in detail how the need for course revision will be documented.
- Recommend a process for keeping the course design agile, supported with a rationale.
- Evaluate how the navigation and display of the learning assets supported synthesis, analysis, and comprehension of the course material, supported with at least one example.
- Base your evaluation on your experience in the course or courses where you were a student.
- Include at least one example from your experience to support your response.
- Describe at least one change that improves the learning assets and display for a course you developed, supported with a rationale.
- Provide at least two reliable, relevant, peer-reviewed references (no more than one used previously), published within the last five years, that support the paper’s claims.
- Write with accurate grammar, mechanics, and spelling in accordance with Strayer Writing Standards (SWS) style.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions. The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
Build a student-ready learning experience inside of an LMS that follows
best practices of user experience.
Before writing this reflective journal entry, you are to read Chapter 11 from A Framework for K-12 Science Education that will provide you with background information related to equity and diversity in K-12 science and engineering education. Please note that this reading is quite a bit longer than most of our readings in this class (15 pages), so plan ahead.
- Excerpt (p. 277-296) from: NGSS Lead States. (2012). A framework for K-12 science education: Practices, cross-cutting concepts, and core ideas. Arlington, VA: National Research Council.
This chapter discusses a variety of sources of inequity in science education, but also addresses approaches to inclusive instruction that benefits a diverse population of learners. For this reflective journal you are to address all of the following:
- Consider the variety of inequity sources described in the reading and reflect back on your own K-12 science experiences. Identify a time that you experienced barriers to your learning of science because of one or more of these inequities (e.g., gender, language, race, socioeconomic status, lack of school resources). Describe how this made you feel and how this impacted your ability learn science.
- Select one of the inclusive instructional strategies presented in the reading and summarize what that strategy is.
- Describe why you believe this is an important strategy to include in your future elementary science teaching.
- Describe how you will implement this strategy in your future elementary science teaching. Be as specific as you can, by including an example. One way to accomplish this is by considering how this strategy will be used in your Field Assignment 2A lesson.
Your submission should address the questions above using full sentences in narrative/paragraph form. Write your response in 1-2 single-spaced pages (500-1000 words).
In the assessments for Week 6 and Week 8, you will design a curriculum and build a course in an LMS. If you have not already done so, access Canvas and create an account you will use to complete the assessments for Weeks 6, 8, and 10.
For this week’s activity, you will conduct research to identify resources for potential digital learning assets you can use in your course. Many free digital learning asset libraries and resources are available; the following links are just a few. You may have access to your organization’s digital learning asset libraries and resources.
Describe the types of digital learning assets available to you and how you plan to select assets for use in the course you will build in the Canvas LMS. Resources
Getting the Assets You Need for Your Online Course. • 100 Hand-Picked Freebies for eLearning Designers. Instructions Write a 1–2 page paper in which you:
- Describe the types of digital learning assets available and how they will be used in a course built in an LMS, supported with examples.
- Describe how the digital learning assets were selected for use in a course built in an LMS, with a rationale for selecting each digital learning asset.
- Provide at least two reliable, relevant, peer-reviewed references (no more
than one used previously), published within the last five years, that support the paper’s claims.
Write with accurate grammar, mechanics, and spelling in accordance with Strayer Writing Standards (SWS) style.