This first assignment is designed to help you become familiar with the National Science Curriculum, some key resources for teaching science and the recommended teaching approaches.
You will choose an area from the Science Understanding sub-strand of the Australian Curriculum-Science or Early Years Learning Framework to focus upon. Note: The topic you choose must be from either the Physical Sciences OR Biological Sciences.
Primary Education students should aim to increase understanding of a selected substrand from the Science Understanding Strand of the Australian Science Curriculum.
Early Childhood students should concentrate on levels F-2 of the Science Understanding Strand of the Australian Science Curriculum and/or The Early Years Learning Framework
To successfully complete this assessment task will need to demonstrate a good overview of
the chosen area and you should complete the tasks described below.
1. Download a copy of the Australian Curriculum-Science and/or Early Years Learning Framework (See links to curriculum documents on page 7).
2. Focus on the Scientific Inquiry and Science Understanding strand choose whether you want to concentrate on Biological Sciences OR Physical Sciences substrand.
3. Before you investigate the curriculum, reflect on your own current understanding and background in the chosen substrand then write a short half page background summary of your level of knowledge.
4. Complete a Curriculum Overview: (NOTE: You may work in small groups of up to four to complete this task).
a. Covering the K to Year 8, develop a table with three columns showing: how knowledge in the chosen substrand is sequenced; how the Scientific Inquiry Strand relates to the development of the knowledge and; identifying some useful resources.
b. Use relevant chapters from Skamp (2014 or 2018) (and/or other literature) to identify any likely alternative conceptions children may have about this topic.
5. Individually, you are to use the overview to write an evaluation of how the science curriculum document and resources may help you take account of the developmental stages of your students from either an early years OR primary teachers perspective.
6. Complete a half page summary that compares your new understanding of this science substrand with your initial knowledge (as presented in point 3), giving specific examples of how your understanding of the topic may have changed with particular focus on any alternative conceptions you may have had about the topic.
Last Updated on February 11, 2019 by EssayPro