Strategic IT Infrastructure Plan– Instructions
- In 15 pages, create a strategic IT infrastructure plan for Baylor Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, along with a summary of the role and responsibilities of a governing board and an evaluation of the plan overall.
- Competency: Manage how information is secured within a health care setting.
- Analyze the roles and responsibilities of a governing board in a health care setting.
- Analyze how information is secured within a health care setting.
- Competency: Integrate information management within the health care organization.
- Analyze how information is utilized within a health care setting.
- Analyze how information management is integrated within the health care organization.
- Competency: Analyze common technological solutions in health care information management.
- Analyze the technological solutions in health care information management.
- Evaluate the overall strategic IT infrastructure plan.
There are many organizations that focus on information management within health care. These organizations include the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the American Health Information Management Association (which authors the health industry code of ethics), the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, and the National Health Information Center.
It is important to examine how information technology has fundamentally changed the way health care institutions operate and function, both clinically and administratively. A critical aspect of information technology is security. How do you manage the security of information in a society where security is constantly threatened? There are a variety of ways that information can be compromised through technology—viruses, hackers, and piracy are just a few.
- ScienceDaily, LLC. (2009, June 16). Advances in medical technology: What does the future hold? Retrieved from
- The Joint Commission. (2014). Retrieved from http://www.jointcommission.org/
- National Committee for Quality Assurance. (n.d.). NCQA. Retrieved from http://www.ncqa.org/
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. (2014). Privacy and security. Retrieved from
- Lee, J. (2010, January 8). Secretary Sebelus discusses health care security. The White House Blog. Retrieved from http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/01/08/secretary-sebelius-discusses-health-care-security
- CMS.gov. (n.d.). Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services. Retrieved from
- American Health Information Management Association. (2014). Journal of AHIMA. Retrieved from http://journal.ahima.org/
- HIMSS Media. (2014). Healthcare IT news. Retrieved from http://www.healthcareitnews.com/
Submit a two-part paper that defines:
- The role of the governing board.
- The strategic IT infrastructure plan you would present to the governing board.
This assessment should be formatted as one paper, using one title page and one references page that lists all of the references from all of the sections of the paper in one place. The paper should total 15 pages combined, excluding the title page and references page.
Part 1 – Governing Board
The governing board of a health care facility includes executive staff such as the CEO, COO, and the CFO, administrative staff including the chief medical officer, and clinical department and medical researcher heads.
For this part of the assessment, write a summary addressing the following in relation to a governing board of a health care organization:
- What is the role of a governing board?
- What are some individual roles and responsibilities for the people on the board?
- What is positive and negative about a governing board? Why?
- How does the governing board affect the various systems of a health care facility, including the IT infrastructure?
- As stakeholders, what is the governing board’s interest in the facility’s IT infrastructure?
Part 1 of your paper should be 1–2 pages in length.
Part 2 – Strategic IT Infrastructure Plan
The attached assessments have been building the components of a strategic IT infrastructure plan such as one that would be submitted to the governing board of Baylor Medical Center. These include:
- Executive summary overview of Baylor Medical Center.
- RFI examining the specific needs and requirements of Baylor Medical Center.
- RFP of the critical needs of Baylor Medical Center.
- Integration solutions from the chosen vendor, including how information will be ensured for quality, how it will be secured, and how it will be utilized.
For Part 2 of this assessment, combine the components of the attached 4 assessments into a strategic IT infrastructure plan. The parts of the IT infrastructure plan already completed should total about 10 pages in length.
To finish your strategic IT infrastructure plan, add a summary evaluating the plan overall. Your summary should demonstrate your understanding of the newly integrated solution and the process that should be used to get there. Use the following prompts as a guideline for your summary:
- How does the new integrated system secure information? This includes looking at laws, regulations, patient rights, employee rights, and barriers to security.
- How is information utilized and managed by the new integrated system? For example, how is it used in day-to-day functions?
- Evaluate your overall strategic IT infrastructure plan. Address the strategies used, recommendations for education and training, return on investment, and improvement of quality of care.
- Identify and analyze both the common and the unique technological solutions provided by the plan for health care information management.
Your summary for Part 2 of the paper should be 3–5 pages in length.
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Your paper should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting. Include a title page and a references page.
- Length: 15 typed and double-spaced pages, excluding the title and references pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.
- Research: Use a minimum of 8 credible sources. Five or more should be from the Required Resources noted above.
Last Updated on February 23, 2021 by Essay Pro