Same-sex marriage is a complex and complicated issue that causes polarization of society like no other social concern.
1. Using your own cultural knowledge and social awareness, make an argument either supporting, or opposing same-sex marriage. (Your cultural knowledge is made up of your beliefs, values, norms, religious philosophy, traditions, customs, and ideas). Competence
2. Include in your argument at least 1 organization that supports your position. The organization can be a local, state, or a national organization. What are some of the values and beliefs that you share with the organization? Awareness
3. As scholars, it is important to remember, that to truly understand the different perspectives of an argument, debate, or discussion, it becomes essential to “take the role of the other”. To better understand this concept, include in your paper an explanation as why someone would feel differently than you concerning the issue of same-sex marriage. (ex: Once you make an argument in support of same sex marriage, create a converse position as to why you think someone would oppose it! Social Responsibility
4. If you were to have a conversation with someone who opposed your views on same-sex marriage, what would you say to them to make efforts to “bridge the gap” or find “common ground” to build a relationship based on tolerance, acceptance and mutual understanding. Civil Responsibility.
1. Students are encouraged to present their position(s) in an intellectual and scholarly manner. Personal views are acceptable in the paper. Students are not to include: negative, offensive, or insulting concepts, terms, or phrases that is tantamount to hate-speech will not be tolerated.
Last Updated on March 22, 2018 by Essay Pro