Questions to Prompt Critical Thinking
- Define the problem.
- What is the problem identified in your chosen article?
The problem is recognized is the harm of patients and patient safety risks, during encounters within health care facilities and health care providers.
- Why is it a problem?
When patients are admitted into a health care facility to improve their quality of care, but impart with more health concerns or harm from their health care professionals, this is a problem.
- What is the problem that the article or study is trying to resolve?
The research that is being studied aims to identify key markers that are causing patient safety and risks that can be avoided.
- Why is the problem important for health care administrators to study?
The presented problem is critical for health care administrators to study, to be able to identify the signs and counteract potential risks or harms that patients encounter. Health care administrators will likely be in constant contact with risk management and should be able to understand as well as provide input to patient safety.
- Identify the purpose
- What is the purpose of the study?
The purpose of this study is to create guidelines and tools to assist in preventing unnecessary patient risk and harm.
- What is the author trying to accomplish in this paper?
The rationale of this research is to provide cognizance to health care professionals as well as a means to implement change and create guidelines that are tailored to patient safety.
- What are the study variables?
- What are the independent and dependent study variables?
The study uses a retrospective method of collecting data that trigger a patient safety incident alert, as well as case note reviews, created by the National Patient Safety Agency. The learning tools and guidelines constructed by the National Patient Safety Agency is the independent study variable. Whereas, the quantity of patients that are affected by patient safety and harm is the dependent variable.
- Identify the research question and/or hypothesis.
- Was a research question or hypothesis provided in the article? If so, what? If not, why?
The research article didn’t suggest a research question or hypothesis but instead an explanation and understanding into how patient safety is defined and measured and then offers an examination into patient safety from different perspectives. The article gives an insight intoelements required to take a comprehensive approach to patient safety. It also gives a comprehensive overview of patient safety within general practices along with the outcomes.
- Was the research qualitative, quantitative, or mixed methods? Explain.
The article suggested using mixed methods of qualitative and quantitative data to determine outcomes. Data was collected and analyzed through case studies, surveys, root cause analysis along with other methods to collect data. Information in other areas were processed and calculated for numerical results such as rates of harm.
- What population or sample was studied?
Participating patients and physicians were used to gather and collect information to be analyzed. Patient’s stories and feedback regarding harm, dissatisfaction or suggestionswere needed in order to identify areas that needed to be reformed. Physicians were studied in order to successfully test and measure their knowledge.
Research Methodology, Design, and Analyses
- What was the sampling method and type? The sampling method is probability sampling and the type is simple random sampling because the population was healthcare workers in primary and secondary care.
- How long did the study take? The study took two decades to determine the findings of how patients are being harmed.
- How was the data collected? The data was collected using recording techniques. The information is recorded through a computerized system that tracks the number of errors, injuries and harm related incidence reflecting patient safety.
- What type of statistical analysis was used?
- What were the findings?
- Were the research questions or hypotheses addressed?
- What were the recommendations?
In light of perusing the article, the analysts recommend that people in charge of setting the measures for every health care substance, lead site visits consistently to guarantee consistence and help remake the publics trust.
- Are the findings relevant to consumers or healthcare professionals or both?
While examining patient safety, despite the fact that it is perfect for consumers to stay mindful of wellbeing benchmarks and conventions, health care experts are considered in charge of patient wellbeing in a wide scope of health care offices.
- How could you as a health care administrator use the information within this article?When we talk about patient safety, we’re truly discussing how medical clinics and other health care associations shield their patients from mistakes, wounds, mishaps, and contamination’s. We oversee the sort things that are done to make procedures and work process more secure for everybody. The data given in the article gives genuine complexities to achieve common and imaginative ways you can draw in staff and patients for consistent criticism and correspondence concerning zones for development.
Ambrose, L. (2011). Patient Safety. InnovAiT, 4(8), 472-477. doi:10.1093/innovait/inr017
Last Updated on May 19, 2019 by EssayPro