5.3 Written Assignment: New Environments Experimental Observation Exercise – Report Submission
In Module 5, you will conduct an experimental observation exercise adapted from Mark, D. (1989), Organizational behavior experiences and cases and Ellen Ernst Kossek. This assignment is designed to expose you to a new situation, requires you to carefully observe your surroundings, and tasks you to formulate a report.
Experimental Observation Exercise
Your task is to go by yourself (you may not take anyone with you) to a place you have not been before and observe what you see (and participate, if appropriate). The activity you observe needs to be an aviation activity or environment such as aircraft manufacturing, an airport, airline office, air traffic control (ATC), aircraft maintenance activity (FBO, maintenance repair overhaul (MRO), or component repair), crop dusting, military flying unit, or even a supplier of aircraft parts. Please note that these two conditions (doing something you have not done before and doing it by yourself) are important.
Do not choose a setting where you would feel like an intruder into someone’s privacy. In some situations, you may need to get permission to observe the group. You may take notes during your experience, but do not do so in a way that may make those around you uncomfortable. Use your good judgment. Do not place yourself into a situation that is physically dangerous to you. Choose a setting that you truly want to learn about.
After your field experience, you will write a 2-3 page report that includes:
- Date and address of where the experience took place.
- Length of time you were there.
- Brief description of the setting.
- Your reaction to the situation in terms of your behavior/feelings (express what your feelings/emotions are amongst the individuals).
- The reaction of the other individuals toward you (express what the other individuals might have felt to have you among them).
- Explain what this experience teaches you about being different from others in your environment.
- Explain how such an experience might influence your development if you were to live or work in such a setting for a major portion of your life.
- Relevance of theory and readings in any of the texts.
- Concluding comments.
The report must also contain a cover, abstract, and reference page (not considered in page requirement). The written report must adhere to current APA guidelines and sources must be properly cited and free of grammatical errors. Make sure to include specific references to the readings and their content (use at least three APA-formatted references from the course readings). Review the writing assignment rubric located in the Module 5 submission activity, to ensure your New Environments Experimental Observation Exercise Report meets or exceeds expectations and standards.
Last Updated on September 2, 2019 by Essay Pro