Guidelines for Industry Research Paper and Presentation
You must research, write, and present an analysis of a particular industry — that you choose. The paper must include the: history, structure, conduct, public policy, and performance in particular industry that you choose. You will submit the paper in the assignments tab in NYU Classes in three (3) sections:
Part 1 — History and Structure Sections (due March 11, 2020) Part 2 — Conduct and Public Policy Sections (due April 15, 2020) Final Paper — Performance Section along with any updates to Part 1 and/or Part 2, (due May 13, 2020).
As you write, please consider the following:
1. Why are you writing this? As an introduction, explain why the industry you chose interests you. Just a brief introduction, this will be especially helpful during the presentation. 2. What are you writing about? You should begin with a short section describing the industry you chose and introduce the various industrial organization topics. Be sure to include data available from www.census.gov (e.g. information about NAICS, number of firms, number of employees, concentration ratios, HHI, etc.). 3. Be sure to consider that this is an advanced economics course! Demonstrate your accomplishment of the goals for the course, specifically:
- Locate published research in industrial organization economics and related fields. • Locate and interpret (with competent statistical analysis) the economic data, e.g., data on
prices and quantities of specific goods and services and recognize the limitations of the data.
- Summarize what is known about the current condition of various types of markets in the U.S. economy – this means your industry.
- Use intermediate level economic concepts to analyze issues published in articles in newspapers and magazines or reported on radio and TV specifically about your industry.
- Explain industrial organization concepts and apply them to your industry.
4. Be sure to consider that the focus of the course is on industrial organization: specifically in terms of Theory of the Firm, Markets, Industry Analysis, Antitrust, Regulation, Pricing, Product Differentiation, Product Quality, Advertising, and R&D (in short, the topics on the syllabus and/or in the text)! Be sure to address how these items affect your industry.
5. Please, don’t drift into macroeconomic policy, monetary policy, politics, international affairs, cooking, etc., those are the focus of other courses.
6. At the end, summarize your findings. This is the most important part of your paper. You determine the style that you want to use, but you must focus on the industrial organization economics. 5. Add your references. Choose a style: Chicago, MLA, APA, other, but be consistent.
7. Present a summary of your paper on either May 6, 2020 or May 13, 2020 (TBD). You may use PowerPoint, keynote, other presentation tools, or handouts, as you wish. Note: These classes are required. Read this again, you must attend these two classes – if you miss them, you will lose 10% of the grade on your final paper.
Last Updated on