- Differentiate the following, and provide 2 examples of each:
- Activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs)
- Advanced activities of daily living (AADLs)
- Discuss at least 2 disorders that may alter an older adult’s cognition.
- What are some indications of possible caregiver burnout?
- Describe a method of assessing an older adult for depression.
- Describe 3 contexts of care for an older adult.
- How do falls affect older adults? Name some interventions.
|Katz Index of Independence in Activities of Daily Living|
Points (1 or 0)
NO supervision, direction or personal assistance.
WITH supervision, direction, personal assistance or total care.
|(1 POINT) Bathes self completely or needs help in bathing only a single part of the body such as the back, genital area or disabled extremity.||(0 POINTS) Need help with bathing more than one part of the body, getting in or out of the tub or shower. Requires total bathing|
|(1 POINT) Get clothes from closets and drawers and puts on clothes and outer garments complete with fasteners. May have helped tie shoes.||(0 POINTS) Needs help with dressing themself or needs to be completely dressed.|
|(1 POINT) Goes to the toilet, gets on and off, arranges clothes, and cleans the genital area without help.||(0 POINTS) Needs help to transfer to the toilet, clean self or use bedpan or commode.|
|(1 POINT) Moves in and out of bed or chair unassisted. Mechanical transfer aids are acceptable||(0 POINTS) Needs help in moving from a bed to a chair or requires a complete transfer.|
|(1 POINT) Exercises complete self-control over urination and defecation.||(0 POINTS) Is partially or totally incontinent of bowel or bladder|
|(1 POINT) Gets food from a plate into their mouth without help. Another person may prepare food.||(0 POINTS) Needs partial or total help with feeding or requires parenteral feeding.|
|TOTAL POINTS: SCORING: 6 = High (patient independent) 0 = Low (patient very dependent|
- Patient is (what score did they receive)__________________What does this mean?