The Artistic Expression: Caring Concept assignment must be completed by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. (MT) at the end of Week 2. This assignment is worth 10% of your overall grade. See the details for this assignment below and in the Course Resources page in the Introduction & Resources Module.
Based on selected form of artistic expression, this assignment may require you to submit two different files, one for the artistic expression and a paper. Please submit both files at the same time.
Nursing practice is both an art and a science with caring as a central concept to nursing practice and the profession of nursing. Caring is influenced by the nurse’s knowledge, skills, and attitudes formed through lifelong learning and experiences. The purpose of this assessment is to explore definitions of caring in nursing. Students will create a definition of caring and an artistic expression of their perception on caring.
CO 1: Examine roles and competencies of master’s-prepared nurses essential to performing as leaders and advocates of holistic, safe, and quality care. (PO 1-5)
CO 2: Apply concepts of person-centered care to nursing practice situations. (PO 1, 2, 5)
Total Points Possible
This assessment is worth 100 points.
Submit your file(s) by 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday at the end of Week 2.
Criteria for Content
Take a moment to reflect on how you demonstrate caring in your current professional practice.
1. Create an artistic representation of your perception on caring in nursing. The artistic expression can be a drawing, sculpture, collage, poem, short story, or dance.
o Videos are to be 1 to 3 minutes in length.
o Poems and short stories should not exceed one-page, double-spaced wording.
o Drawings, pictures, or collages should be formatted on an 8 x 10 document.
o Sculptures submitted as a jpg.
2. In a one- to two-page written paper, address the following.
o The importance of caring to nursing practice and the profession
o A personal definition of caring; include principles of holistic care
o Definitions of caring found in nursing literature that support your perspective on caring
o An explanation of the artistic expression you chose and how it represents caring
o Summary of key concept presented in the paper.
Preparing the paper
1. Application: Use Microsoft Word 2013™ to create the written component of this assessment.
o The paper (excluding the title page and reference page) should be at least one but no more than two pages.
o Artistic representation:
Poem or short story submitted as a Word document not to exceed one-page, double-spaced wording
Drawing or college submit as an 8 x 10 pdf
Sculpture submit as a jpeg.
Song or dance should be at least 1 but no more than 3 minutes in length. Submit as an MP4
3. A minimum of three (3) scholarly literature references must be used.
4. Submission: Submit your files.
Best Practices in Preparing the Project
The following are best practices in preparing this project.
1. Review directions thoroughly.
2. Follow submission requirements for selected type of artistic expression.
3. Make sure all elements on the grading rubric are included.
4. Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.
5. Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the 6th edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section of the paper except for the introduction where no heading is used.
6. Ideas and information that come from scholarly literature must be cited and referenced correctly.
7. A minimum of three (3) scholarly literature references must be used.
8. Abide by CCN academic integrity policy.
Last Updated on