This module is about the shapes of molecules. Molecules depend on their shapes to do what they do. Many biologically active molecules rely on the “lock and key” approach to reactivity and availability – that is all based on the shapes around certain atoms.
For this discussion, find 4 covalently bonded molecules that has a particular shape. Post the following information:
- Name of the molecule
- Chemical Formula
- Empirical Formula
- Embed an image of the structure
- Shape of the molecule around the central atom, or choose an atom to demonstrate the shape
- Use the VSEPR chart to explain (i.e. is the central atom X2E2?)
- Provide the full electron configuration for the central atom. If your molecule doesn’t seem to have a central atom, pick one that has a few atoms bonded to it.
- Provide the full electron configuration for an atom bonded to the central atom and comment on which electrons are bonding (between the central atom & this atom)
Last Updated on September 26, 2018 by EssayPro