Respond to the questions in full sentences. Be sure to use standard English grammar and spelling
What are the biophysical, psychological, sociocultural, behavioral and health system factors operating in this situation?
What actions would you take to provide more sensitive and effective care for women who are lesbian, bisexual, or transgender?
Describe the major health concerns of this woman and what role the community health nurse might play in this situation?
Betty is 45 years old, self-employed, divorced three times, and mother of three boys and one daughter. Two years ago, her last husband died of lung cancer at age 54.
She was referred to the local clinic because she has been feeling depressed. During the interview, Betty informs the community health nurse that she is tired of living the old way, and she is now involved with a woman and considers herself a lesbian. She admits that she has been sexually involved with both men and women during the past three years.
She indicates that she is afraid she might have cancer because her mother died of breast cancer five years ago at the age of 67. She does not have health insurance.
Betty stated that she is embarrassed to get a pap smear because she heard that gay women do not need to get a pap smear since they are not having “real sex” vaginally.
Write a 7 paragraph long essay analyzing any one of the topics listed below. You will have to use a variety of sources in order to write this essay (See Paper Requirement for specific course requirements for each topic.)
Choose one of the following topics for your essay.
- 1918 Influenza Pandemic and the role played by women
- Intimate Partner Violence during COVID-19
- The Burden of Care on women during COVID-19
- Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Nurses are at the frontline of COVID-19 battle
I have provided some questions for you to consider as you organize your thoughts and your paper. These questions should be used as guiding ideas to frame your essay. Do not just answer the topic questions listed below one by one. You are encouraged to add other issues that you deem important in your essay apart from the questions/issues I have suggested.
- Why do you think we need to study gender in the case of a disease outbreak?
- How are women left out of official chronicles of a pandemic? Why is it only men who occupy center stage? This is despite women undertaking sometimes the most laborious and sustained burden of care work during a pandemic.
- What kinds of work done by women are made invisible during pandemics?
- Is there a need to take a new look at major disease outbreaks (both in history and at the present time) in terms of their gendered dimensions?
- Mini-paper should be a minimum of 7 paragraphs doubled spaced. One paragraph as an introduction and one paragraph as a conclusion.
- The essay should have a title that reflects your opinion/view of the women and gender during a pandemic.
- Source Requirements per topic
- Topic 1requires minimally 4 sources, of which one has to be an archival source (3+1). 1 has to be an old image from the 1918 Pandemic and 2 of the rest can be an academic and/or known magazine/journal. I am posting some links to sources which you will find helpful for your archival research
- https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-1918-flu-pandemic-helped-advance-womens-rights-180968311/ (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) https://slate.com/technology/2019/02/spanish-flu-women-nurses-heroism.html (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) http://womenatthecenter.nyhistory.org/how-telephone-operators-helped-people-connect-during-the-1918-flu-epidemic/ (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/ (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/records-list.html (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) https://hyperallergic.com/552295/1918-influenza-pandemic-covid-19/ (Links to an external site.)
- Topics 2, 3, 4, & 5 require 3 sources. For most of these topics getting academic sources might be difficult since it is so recent. If you are able to find an academic source, that is fine. If not all 3 can be from prominent magazines/journals.
- Cite your sources using APA formatting.
- Mini-papers should be free of grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors.
Last Updated on June 18, 2021 by EssayPro