US Government & Politics
Unit 4 TGA – Political Participation–40 points
Part I – 10 points – 2 points each
- What do you think should be the legal age for voting? Why?How can someone be a responsible voter?
- Read this quote by George Marshall: “Democracy is the most demanding of all forms of government in terms of the energy, imagination and public spirit required of the individual.” Citizens who are non-participants in democracy are considered free riders.
- Should peoplewho do not vote(free riders) be required to pay more taxes since they are not contributing in this way? Why or why not?
- Should those who vote receive extra benefits? Why or why not?
- Australia, which has a 95% voting rate, fines citizens who do not vote. How do you feel about this law? Why? Do you think this law would work in the United States? Why or why not?
- Choose one of these quotes and explain its signifance as we head into the 2018 Midterm Elections.
“Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost”- John Q. Adams
“The ballot is stronger than the bullet.” –Abraham Lincoln
“A man without a vote is a man without protection.” – Lyndon B. Johnson
“ The right to vote is the crown jewel of American liberties and we will not see it diminished.” – Ronald Reagan
“The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.” – John F. Kennedy
- What are Midterm Elections and why are they important? (Use the class connect session that reviews this TGA to help answer this question).
Part 2: Is Government Good or Too Intrusive? (30 points)
Read the two articles listed below:
Amy, J. (2007) “A Day in Your Life” Government is Good. Retrieved fromhttp://governmentisgood.com/articles.php?aid=1
Feulner, E. (2014) “Government Intrudes into Virtually Every Aspect of our Lives.” The Daily Signal. Retrieved from:
Using the paraphrasing techniques you learned in the lesson, write two paragraphs summarizing the points in each article.
Write a third paragraph explaining which side you agree with the most, using supporting evidence from one of the articles.
In your paragraphs, use in text citations. Create a works cited page in MLA format.
Last Updated on July 20, 2020 by EssayPro