- This is the instruction sheet for the third of five major research essays. Please read the instructions very carefully.
- It will be the Cause and Effect Essay.
- For this essay, you need to choose from the following options:
(a) The direct or indirect effects which a historical figure (e.g., a political leader, a
philosopher, or an artist) has had on your country, your race, your community, or your
(b) The effects a significant public event or incident has had on your country, your race,
your community, or your family;
(c) Why some artistic work of a popular artist has affected your country, your race, your
community, or your family;
(d) Why a TV show, a song, a video, or a film has enjoyed an all-time popularity;
(e) Some causes of a social phenomenon, such as the rise in immigration, homelessness,
child abuse, or gang violence;
(f) Some causes and effects of a family, a social, or an institutional custom; or
(g) Some effects of a particular advertisement on your country, your race, your
community, or your family
- In the next several days, we will explore questions that will help you brainstorm and
write an interesting essay.
- Remember that each type of writing (e.g., narrative, descriptive, compare and contrast, cause and effect, or argument) has a purpose. When you select your details for the third major essay, make sure you find some purpose. That purpose will guide you in not only selecting the most important details, but also in arranging the details.
- With the purpose in mind, you will decide what goes in each of the intended paragraphs.
- Make the essay interesting. Formulate a clear and effective thesis statement. Use concrete examples to explain each loaded statement (i.e., your thesis statement and its topic sentences). Remember that all essays are effective when they make loaded statements and expand on them through examples, illustrative stories, and so on.
- The essay should be 3-4 pages, with 3-5 research sources. In addition, it should be typewritten or computerized. If you use computer, make sure you use Times New Roman, 12 pts only.
Last Updated on March 21, 2018 by Essay Pro