There are certain universal principles of management that can be applied to any organization, public or private, profit or non-profit. These principles include determining and following the mission statement, and allocating organizational resources efficiently and effectively. There are profound differences, however, in managing organizations in the private sector and the public sector.
In a four page paper (excluding the title page and reference page) complete the following:
- Compare and contrast the differences between managing an organization in the private/non-government sector and managing an organization in the public/government sector.
- As an example, one difference between a private sector organization and a public sector organization is that one is funded largely through profits (the private sector) while the other is funded through taxes(the public sector). This difference fundamentally alters the culture of the organization.
- Propose and defend two skills a public sector manager should develop to be more effective in their position.
- As an example, one skill a public sector manager should develop is the ability to generate consensus among a wide array of stakeholders (elected officials, agency managers, the judicial system, customers, etc.).
- Use APA style. Remember to include an introduction with a thesis statement, use transitional words, use a minimum of four sentences in a paragraph, and include a conclusion.
- Use two scholarly sources
Dresang, D.L. (2009). Personnel Management in Government Agencies and Nonprofit Organizations (5th ed.). New York: Pearson Longman. ISBN: 9780205616794
Jacobs, D.L. (2014, April 4). How to deal with a totally boring job (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Forbes. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2014/04/04/how-to-deal-with-a-totally-boring-job/
The Society for Human Resource Management (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. (http://www.shrm.org/)
US Office of Personnel Management (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. )
American Society of Public Administration (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. (http://www.aspanet.org/)
National Academy of Public Administration (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. (http://www.napawash.org/)
Last Updated on July 29, 2018 by EssayPro