For your final assignment you will conduct your own article analysis. You will need to answer the questions provided to illustrate your understanding of the process of accessing scholarly research, using information in an ethical and legal manner, and analyzing the various components of a scholarly article.
This assignment will cover each of the following sections:
1) Introduction and Review of the Literature,
3) Results, and
4) Discussion and Implications.
You may write your answers directly under each of the questions. Use as much space as you need to thoroughly respond to the questions. Do not assume that the spaces in between questions are sufficient for your response.
Accessing Scholarly Research
- Use the provided course resources to locate the following article in the library databases. Describe the process you went through to locate this article. Be specific. (2pts)
Authors: Greenberger, E. & Chen, C.
Date of Publication: 1996
Article Title: Perceived family relationships and depressed mood in early and late adolescence: A comparison of European and Asian Americans.
Journal Title: Developmental Psychology
Using and Analyzing Scholarly Research Accurately and Ethically
Introduction and Review of the Literature
- What is the central issue of the article, and what are the main research questions and hypotheses proposed in this study. Paraphrase and provide in-text citations, where appropriate, using APA format. (10pts)
- Identify some of the previous research that frames the current study. Provide a brief overview of the main points of this research. Paraphrase and provide in-text citations, when appropriate. (3pts)
- How does this study go beyond past investigations of this topic? In other words, what is new? (2pts)
- Imagine you are describing the participants of this study in a paper you are writing. Describe the sample and how they were selected. Paraphrase the majority of your response, and include one direct quote from the article. Provide the appropriate in-text citations, where appropriate. (4pts)
- Identify what data collection methods have been employed and what was actually measured in this study, and how. Paraphrase the majority of your response, and include one direct quote from the article. Provide the appropriate in-text citations, where appropriate. (4pts)
- Again, imagine you are writing a paper on the topic covered in this article. Introduce the article and summarize the main findings from this study, ensuring that you cover each of the research questions. Please also note how the results relate to the expectations/ predictions/hypotheses set out in the introduction (i.e., are they supported or not)? Paraphrase your response and include the appropriate in-text citations when appropriate. (10pts)
Discussion and Implications
- Have the appropriate interpretations of the results been made? In other words, do you agree with the conclusions drawn from the data? Are there alternative ways of interpreting the results?(2pts)
- What implications do the findings have for theory, real world practice (e.g., programs, trainings), and future research? Paraphrase your response, and provide the appropriate in-text citations, where appropriate. (4pts)
- What methodological limitations are present in this study? You may paraphrase and directly quote one sentence for this section. Provide the appropriate in-text citations, where appropriate. (4pts)
- Write the reference for this article in APA format. (2pts)
In addition to the points listed above your final assignment will also be assessed for writing quality. (3pts)
Last Updated on February 10, 2019 by Essay Pro