INDIVIDUAL STUDENT TEACHING PROJECT INSTRUCTIONS
The purpose of the Teaching Project assignment is for students to learn how to develop and evaluate a health teaching presentation. Think about how you would design a “live” teaching presentation you would conduct on a college canvas. This could be done through a variety of settings, including a health fair format, poster presentation, or brief teaching session. For this current semester, this presentation will NOT be presented within the community setting.
Students will select a topic they feel is timely and appropriate for college learners on a university campus such as UTA. They will develop 2 SMART objectives, select 2 key points with rationale, reference Healthy People 2020, and create a plan to evaluate whether their 2 SMART objectives were met. This information will be recorded on the Project Submission Form in a maximum length of 3 pages.
The following information must be included on the Project Submission Form for this assignment. Students should not submit a formal APA style paper with title page, etc. The form should follow proper sentence structure and grammar and can be single- spaced. References for the Key Points (refer to grading criteria) should be included on page 3
The teaching project form submitted for this assignment should include the following information. Please review the Project Grading Rubric as you prepare your presentation form.
- TOPIC, RATIONALE AND TARGET AUDIENCE(15 pts)
- Include topic’s major theme for target group. (Eg. Heart Healthy or Cardiac Health).
- Include rationale for why the topic was selected for this learner and why it is pertinent today.
- Consider age, Erickson’s developmental stages, gender, socioeconomic level, cultural considerations, etc. for the college student audience. The Leifer textbook may be helpful.
- 2 SMART LEARNER OBJECTIVES(15 pts)
- Develop 2 objectives the group would like the learner to “take away” from the presentation. Students should not develop more than 2 objectives.
- Objectives should be SMART (Smart, measurable, attainable, realistic & timed).
- Refer to measurable verbs (identify, list, define, etc). discussed in the Health Education lecture slides.
- TWO KEY POINTS FROM YOUR TEACHING TOPIC(30 pts)
These will include the most important information you found in your literature review for your topic. Your SMART goals should be developed from these 2 key points. Include one in-text citation for each key point listed. They may or may not be the same reference source. The in- text citations will also be included in your list of references on the last page.
- HEALTHY PEOPLE 2020(10 pts)
After a review of Healthy People 2020, discuss why this topic is considered pertinent to overall health. Focus areas, leading health indicators, social determinants or general information from Healthy People for your topic can be included here.
- PLAN FOR EVALUATION(20 pts)
- Develop a method to evaluate the effectiveness in achieving each of the objectives.
- Include the following criteria (a, b, c, d) for each of the 2 objectives:
- Type: Of evaluation strategy to be used (Eg. Pre/ Post-Test, Surveys, games such as true/ false, matching, spin wheel).
- Specific criteria: The learner must accomplish to determine if SMART objective was met?
- Percentage of Learners:You desire to meet each of the objectives. (Eg. 90%or 2/3 of the learners will be able to fulfill the SMART goal).
- Follow-up and Re-Teaching: Needed for those who don’t meet the criteria for the 2 SMART objectives.
- REFERENCES/ MECHANICS(10 pts)
- Reference listing should include 2-4 scholarly references listed in APA format.
- Textbook, scholarly journal articles which are current (past 5 years), and/ or credible professional websites can be listed. It is not required to have 1 reference from each source (textbook, journal article, website). However, a variety are recommended.
- Healthy People 2020 website can count as one reference.
- Check for APA format, proper grammar and spelling throughout the entire form. A formal APA paper with title page, etc. should not be submitted for this assignment.
PROJECT SUBMISSION FORM TO UPLOAD TO CANVAS
Assignment submission MUST not exceed 3 pages. Form can be single-spaced and instructions can be removed if necessary, to allow additional space to record information. An APA style paper with title page, etc. should not be submitted for this assignment.
- TOPIC, RATIONALE AND TARGET AUDIENCE: (15 PTS)
- Topic Selected
- Rationale/ Why Important today
- Intended Target Audience
- The intended target audience for this topic is the college student.
- Discuss 1-2 aspects of the college learner you considered; consider age, gender, developmental stage, culture, etc.
- 2 SMART LEARNER OBJECTIVES: (15 PTS)
- Objective #1:
- The learner will be able to:
- Objective #2:
- The learner will be able to:
- TWO KEY POINTS FROM YOUR TEACHING TOPIC: (30 pts)
This is the most important information you found in your literature review for your topic. These will be included in your teaching session. Your SMART goals were developed from THESE TWO KEY POINTS.
- First Key Point:
- Include In- text citation for information
- Second Key Point:
- Include In-text citation for information
- Healthy People 2020 (Include 1 item from HP 2020 to support this topic): (10 pts)
- According to Healthy People 2020, this topic is considered pertinent to overall health because:
- Plan for Evaluation: (20 pts)
- Method to evaluate 2 SMART objectives.
- How to Evaluate First SMART Objective:
- How to Evaluate Second SMART Objective:
- 2- 4 Scholarly References Listed in APA Format Below. Check for proper grammar, spelling throughout entire form. (10 pts)
- Textbook, scholarly journal articles which are current- past 5 years, credible professional websites- AHA, AHNA, etc.
- Healthy People 2020 website can count as a reference.
Last Updated on November 16, 2020 by Essay Pro