Make sure you do ALL 3 PARTS!!!
To explore Olivia Gude’s Postmodern Principles, you will do this assignment:
1. Choose 3 of Olivia Gude’s Postmodern Principles.Choose 3 from the 8 she talked about: Appropriation, Juxtaposition,
Recontextualization, Layering, Interaction of Text & Image, Hybridity, Gazing, Representin’
(This is the link to Olivia’s Gude’s postmodern principles: https://naea.digication.com/omg/Postmodern_Principles
2. Reread her description of the 3 Principles you have chosen and look at the artists she used as examples in her description.
3. Create a Word document. List the 3 Postmodern Principles you have chosen. Summarize what you think is interesting or important
about your chosen principles. For example, “Representin’: I have chosen the postmodern principle, Representin’, because I feel…”
1. Research the artist associated with the principles you have chosen from the list below.
(a) Appropriation – research Ron English;
(b) Juxtaposition – research Kehinde Wiley;
(c) Interaction of Text and Image – research Glenn Ligon;
(d) Layering – research Mark Bradford;
(e) Hybridity – research Andrea Zittel;
(f) Gazing – research Hasan Elahi;
(g)Representin’ – research Felix Gonzalez-Torres;
(h) recontextualization – research Cat Mazza.
2. On your word document, under the description of the postmodern principle, include the name of the artist, information about him or
her, and one of their art works that you consider an example of the stated postmodern principle. Also paste an image of the artwork.
(Remember that if you are quoting a website, you must cite your source.)
3. Explain how your chosen artist and artwork exemplifies your chosen principle. What is the artist trying to say through their art?
How does the postmodern principle work?
4. Do this for each of your 3 chosen principles.
1. Find 1 example of each of the 8 Postmodern Principles in the world or on the internet and photograph/download it. This may be in
advertising, commercial design, popular culture, or any number of types of visual culture.
2. Insert the image of your example under the principle it illustrates and explain how it is an example of that principle.
Last Updated on February 21, 2018 by EssayPro