HN3140 Moneyball Assignment #2
Write a critique of how Billy Beane adopted the use of analytics in managing the talent of the Oakland Athletics baseball team. Your critique should be no more than 500 words and no less than 300 words.
Questions to answer in your critique:
- What was the difference between the business problem Billy Beane was trying to solve and the business problem his talent scouts were trying to solve?
- How did Peter Brand value baseball players? What key metric of a player did he determine won baseball games?
- Why was the team in last place in their division after they had started to implement the use of analytics in choosing their players?
- What issues did Billy Beane have in implementing the use of analytics? What should he have done differently?
- What superstition (irrational belief) did Billy Beane have?