After completing the required reading for the unit, select one of the following topics for discussion this week.
- Identify the composite metrics used to measure burden of disease nationally and globally. Select and apply the metric to compare and contrast a chronic condition such as diabetes, obesity, or an infectious disease such as HIV-AIDs or Malaria.
- Define and discuss the key health status indicators being used currently in Low and Middle Income Countries (LMICs) and their drawbacks. How reliable are these indicators?
- Discuss the historical significance and impact of the Global Burden of Disease Study.
- Explain the Statistics – provide an overview of rates, ratios, proportions, odds, risk, survival analysis etc. Explain what the statistic is, how it is used in epidemiology and why it is important.
- Explain the Research – provide an overview of the different types of epidemiological research studies and when to use each. Be sure to differentiate between descriptive and analytic research and the types of studies used in each.
Last Updated on