Please read Chapters 11 and 12 in the textbook, as well as the article Leadership as a Function of Power, and then address the Week 6 Leadership Reflection Questions. Please use the Leadership Reflection Questions template provided to format your paper. Note that APA format is NOT required for Leadership Reflection Question assignments – only case studies and the final paper. Please remember the 750 word minimum for these assignments.
Part 1: Leadership Function of Power
Please read Chapter 12 in the textbook and the attached article (Leadership Function of Power). Then address the following two question sets.
Provide an analysis, examples and evaluation of power use as described below.
- Define and describe the concept of “hard power” and the three types of this kind of power. Identify a work situation for each of these three types of power in which the use of “hard power” (coercive, reward, legitimate) might be appropriate. For each situation:
- Identify and define the type of hard power used.
- Provide rationale for why the use of hard power is appropriate.
- Define and describe the concept of “soft power” and the two types of this kind of power. Identify a work situation for each of these two types of power in which “soft power” (expert, referent) might be appropriate. For each situation:
- Identify and define the type of soft power used.
- Provide rationale for why the use of soft power is appropriate.
Note: The individuals involved in your examples do not need to be formal (positional) leaders.
Part 2: Leadership Diversity
Please read Chapter 11 in the textbook and then address the following two question sets.
- Refer to Exhibit 11.7 in the textbook (also below). Recall a leader that you have worked for. At what stage of personal diversity awareness was this leader? Describe examples of the leader’s behavior that support your assessment.
- At what stage of personal diversity awareness are you? Describe examples of your own behavior that support your assessment.
Last Updated on August 7, 2019 by EssayPro