If you wanted to pursue an onsite position in another country, what three foreign countries would you consider (from the video or otherwise)? Why? For the purposes of this exercise, select multinational companies operating in the countries that interest you (that are not otherwise discussed in this course). Then browse web sites associated with the countries you selected to identify the country that offers the best opportunity and experience for you and your family.
Explain why your choice won out over the other countries you reviewed. As part of your preparation, take advantage of various resources discussing business in those nations; for example, “International Market Research Reports,” to help you look up background information on each of the three countries. Consider the following questions, for example, when making your decision:
- How stable is your appointment with the MNC in the country?
- Is there a stable political environment?
- How developed is the infrastructure, including utilities, transportation, industry, and technology?
- How prepared are you to tackle the assignment? If you are not prepared, what does the company need to provide?
- How well do tastes and culture match yours? Does this matter to you?
- What is the outlook for the country’s future? Is it expected to grow economically or are hard times ahead?
- How important is it for you to have a job with the same MNC if you return to the U.S.?
- Will you be able to find employees with the education and skills you need?
- What other issues would you consider?
My top 3 Expatriate countries would be the United Kingdom, Thailand, and, Korea.