Week One Discussion
Diversity, Benefits and Detriments of Microbes Microbiology is both a basic and an applied science. It is not a single subject! It has many areas of specialization, including bacteriology, mycology (study of fungi), phycology (study of algae), virology, medical microbiology & immunology, public health, food microbiology, biotechnology, microbial genetics, and cell & molecular biology. In this assignment, we will discuss some of the various disciplines associated with microbiology and the beneficial microbes associated with them.
More readings: Lab 6 Soil Nitrogen – Use of Colorimetric Assays
For your main discussion post (first post),
- You must choose from among the beneficial organisms below.
- It is required of all students to reserve their discussion topic using the following procedure:
- Click Week 1 Discussion, above, to enter the Discussion.
- Click Create Thread and type the number and scientific name of the organism you will discuss in the subject line to reserve your topic on a first come/first serve basis according to the classroom date/time stamp. Repeat main posts on the same organism are not permitted.
- To post your main discussion you will Reply to your topic intent post.
Please choose one of the following beneficial microbes for your main discussion:
- Acetobacter aceti
- Alcanivorax borkumensis
- Arthrospira platensis
- Aspergillus niger
- Bacillus thuringiensis
- Bifidobacterium infantis
- Brettanomyces bruxellensis
- Deinococcus radiodurans
- Dunaliella salina
- Escherichia coli
- Geobacter metallireducens
- Ideonella sakaiensis
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Lactobacillus gasseri
- Oenococcus oeni
- Paenibacillus polymyxa
- Penicillium camemberti
- Penicillium chrysogenum
- Pseudomonas putida
- Rhizobium leguminosarum
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Shewanella oneidensis
- Sinorhizobium meliloti
- Streptomyces griseus
- Synechococcus elongatus
- Thiomargarita namibiensis
You must discuss your chosen organism to tell us what type of microbe it is, what helpful beneficial actions it performs and which subfield of microbiology it is involved in. You must discuss only the helpful, beneficial, positive aspects of your chosen organism for your entire main discussion.
Your discussion should be well-written, in your own words, paraphrasing from only credible academic sources. You may not directly quote from your sources, minimum elaboration on the topic of a minimum of 300 words and maximum of 400 words.
You must also cite your credible academic reference sources with parenthetical in text citations, and provide full end ref information in APA 7th Edition format.
Due by 11:59 PM ET Friday,on any day of the week other than the days you post your two comments, to meet the minimum three day posting requirement.
For your second post:
- you will respond to another classmate with a substantive comment in minimum 100, maximum 150 words about how their organism is detrimental/harmful to another area of microbiology, after you have read their main discussion.
- Again, you should provide student original writing, paraphrasing from credible sources, cite your source for this post in text in parentheses, and provide full end ref information in APA 7th Edition format.
- Due by 11:59 PM ET Saturday,on any day of the week other than the day you posted your main discussion and second comment, to meet the minimum three day posting requirement.
For your third post:
- you will respond to a second classmate with a substantive comment of minimum 100, maximum 150 words about either positive or negative aspects of their organism. After you have read their main discussion.
- Again, you should provide student original writing, paraphrasing from credible sources, cite your source for this post in text, in parentheses, and provide full end ref information in APA 7th Edition format.
- Due by 11:59 PM ET Sunday, on any day of the week other than the day you posted your main discussion and first comment, to meet the minimum three day posting requirement.
- Please refer to the Getting Started area of the classroom for information on Credible Reference sand APA 7th Edition format under course resources.
- You may never use Wikipedia or any other Open Source to support your college level work! All assignments using these will earn zero score.
- You must paraphrase from all sources as direct quotation is not acceptable in science writing.
- Please check the Getting Started area of the classroom for a copy of the Discussion Grading Rubric and your instructor’s Course Expectations.
Click on Week 1 Discussion, above, to enter the Discussion.