You are a new Volunteer Manager, managing a group of volunteers. You are having a very difficult time with Sally, a longtime volunteer with the organization.
Unexpectedly, Sally explodes, becomes furious, and throws an embarrassing tantrum. You have received numerous complaints about Sally from other volunteers, staff, and clients. Your director asked you to handle the situation.
- Describe the techniques that you think would be most useful to come to a resolution that will be best for everyone involved.
- Explain how you might use coaching to improve the performance of your volunteers.
- Describe the value of a rewards and recognition program.
- How could you apply a rewards and recognition program to help you avoid problems like Sally’s in the future?
- Required References
- Connors, T. D. (2011). Wiley nonprofit law, finance and management series: volunteer management handbook: leadership strategies for success (2nd ed.).Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN-13: 9780470604533. Chapter 11: Volunteer and Staff Relations
- Lee, Y., Won, D., & Bang, H. (2014). Why do event volunteers return? Theory of planned behavior. International Review on Public and Non-Profit Marketing, 11(3), 229-241. doi:10.1007/s12208-014-0117-0
- Rosenthal, R. J., & Baldwin, G. (2015). Volunteer engagement 2.0: Ideas and insights changing the world.Somerset, NJ: Wiley & Sons. ISBN-13: 9781118931882. Chapter 7: Keeping the Volunteers You Have
- Recommended References
- Alfes, K., Shantz, A., & Saksida, T. (2015). Committed to whom? Unraveling how relational job design influences volunteers’ turnover intentions and time spent volunteering. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary & Nonprofit Organizations, 26(6), 2479-2499. doi:10.1007/s11266-014-9526-2
- Connors, T. D. (2012).The volunteer management handbook (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons. Chapter 12: Communicating with Volunteers and Staff
- Manetti, G., Bellucci, M., Como, E., & Bagnoli, L. (2015). Investing in volunteering: Measuring social returns of volunteer recruitment, training, and management. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 26(5), 2104-2129. doi:10.1007/s11266-014-9497-3
- Sellon, A. (2014). Recruiting and retaining older adults in volunteer programs: Best practices and next steps. Ageing International, 39(4), 421-437.