Week 10 Assignment – Courts Impact on Law & Society
“Equal Justice Under Law” is the promise on the portals of the Supreme Court building.
For this assignment, choose one Supreme Court decision to evaluate that has impacted society in a positive or negative CAREER way. Below is a list of five societal issues for you to choose from along with example cases related to the issue.
- Pro-life vs. reproductive rights. Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization 597 US (2021) 2. Citizenship rights for immigrants. Arizona v. United States 567 US (2012) 3. Freedom of speech and religion. Republican Party of Minnesota v. White 536 US 765 (2002) 4. LGBTQIA+ rights. Obergefell v. Hodges 576 US (2015) 5. Workplace discrimination. Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber 550 US 618 (2007)
Step 1: Decide which societal issue is most important to you or one you want to learn more about.
Step 2: Research Supreme Court decisions and information related to the societal issue you chose.
Locating Supreme Court Decisions to find US Supreme Court Opinions (including facts of the case, the question, the conclusion, as well as oral argument, opinion announcement, Opinion syllabus, and Opinions):
- Go to Oyez Project website. The site is managed by the Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law; and includes opinions from as early as the year 1789, audio of oral arguments for more recent cases, and a summary analysis or conclusion of each opinion.
Complete the following sections of the Week 10 Assignment Template to address the following:
- Your Chosen Supreme Court Decision. Identify the Supreme Court decision you chose to evaluate, including 1) Case Name and Citation 2) Societal Issue 3) Name of Lower Court 4) Name of Deciding Justice 5) Date of Justice’s Decision.
- Your Reasons. Discuss why you chose this decision to evaluate using specific examples.
- Summary of Decision. Summarize the Supreme Court decision.
- Theory or Approach. Note: Reference Chapters 12 and 13 of your textbook. Determine the theory or approach (cue, small-group analysis, attitude, and rational choice) you think the judge used to decide the case and explain how it relates to the decision. Cite any sources used.
- Impact of the Decision on Society. Explain the impact of the decision on individuals and society using specific examples and cite any sources used.
- Impact of the Decision on the Rule of Law and Politics. Explain the impact the decision had on the rule of law and politics using specific examples and cite any sources used.
Sources and Formatting
- Use at least three sources to support your writing. Your textbook may be used as one reference source and can be used more than once in your responses. Cite each reference in-text citations and include your resources on the Sources page.
- For help with research, writing, and citation, access the Library or review the SOC205 Library Guide.
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course.
Course Learning Outcome and Skills The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is: • Examine how courts impact society and the rule of law in the evolution of social change in America. In this assignment, you will practice the following skills:
- Problem Solving: The ability to identify and frame problems, explore ideas, and create effective, ethical, and evidence-based solutions.
- Agility: The ability to grow, effectively adapt, and recover in a continually changing environment to achieve desired results.
- Initiative: The ability to recognize what needs to be done and to take action without being prompted in order to improve a circumstance or create a new one.
- Self and Social Awareness: The ability to recognize thoughts, emotions, intentions, and bias of oneself and others and use that information to identify impacts on others, receive feedback, reflect, and guide one’s growth and development.