Part 1: Conducting Interviews
As a manager one of your key roles is having the ability to hire the right people. You need to be able to assess candidates and come to a decision on hiring. In this activity, you will work on devising three interview questions that will help in this process.
For your three interview questions,
- Devise insightful interview questions that allow you to assess candidates.
- Defend the rationale for choosing the three interview questions.
Process for Selecting Questions
given the importance of interviewing in the overall hiring process and given that asking questions is at the core of in-terviewing, it is important that a deliberate and thoughtful approach is used to select interview questions. The following steps are recommended.
- decide the most important competencies.
- decide which competencies you wish to address during interviews.
- Select questions that align with priority competencies and the interview style and purpose
- Adaptability 2. collaborative 3. initiative 4. innovation 5. integrity 6. teamwork
- Build the organization and inspire people
- direct leadership – first-line supervisors Interpersonal skills Conceptual skills Technical skills
- drive for results
- encourage open exchange of ideas and knowledge
- Know the business
- Make difficult decisions
- organizational leadership – managers Interpersonal skills Conceptual skills Technical skills
- Strategic leadership – executives Interpersonal skills Conceptual skills Technical skill
functional competencies are specific to industries and organi-zations. The more common ones are provided below.
Accounting and finance
research & development
Sales and Marketing
Part 2: Performance Appraisals
In leading people, it is critical to be able to provide meaningful feedback in the performance review process. Nearly all companies have an annual review process. In this activity, you will practice written performance feedback.
Your Performance Appraisal should:
- Assess Employee Performance
- Rewrite performance appraisals feedback
Assess Employee Performance
Rewrite performance appraisals feedback