Purpose of the assignment:
This assignment invites you to explore key similarities and differences between two sources. These sources will address the same topic, but have significant and substantive differences. In other words, the assignment asks you to move beyond merely reporting the similarities and differences between the sources and to work toward fleshing out what those similarities and differences represent, reveal, or demonstrate.
Purpose of the paper: The end product of this assignment will be anessay that answers the following prompt:
After carefully reading the arguments presented in “Sharing is a Trap” and “Get Over It,” compare and contrast the two arguments and explain how the use of social media and the loss of privacy haveaffected society.
Steps to begin brainstorming:
• Summarize the core of each author’s argument
• What are they key issues for each author? How does each author frame the issues?
• What is the most important aspect of the disagreement between the two arguments?
• Where are the disagreements over values or underlying assumptions?
• What questions has each writer failed to address?
• Your essay must have a clear, argumentative thesis statement in the introduction which responds to the prompt.
• The body of the essay needs to develop and support the claim you articulate in your thesis.
• In your analysis, strive for depth rather than breadth. In other words, say a lot about one or two key things rather than a little bit about many things.
• The closing portion of your essay needs to do more than merely restate the key ideas you’ve discussed in the body of your text. For example, consider a conclusion that speculates on the impact of the argument in the larger context of the subject area or topic being discussed.
• Purpose: Analysis/Argument
• Audience: General
• Mode: Analytical/Argumentative
• Evidence: “Sharing is a Trap,” “Get Over It,” and source #3 academic source chosen by student.
• Voice: Formal
• 3-5 pages; five paragraphs (minimum 750 – 1000 words)
• MUST have a Works cited page (does not contribute to the length requirement)
• Required Sources (3): “Sharing is a Trap,” “Get Over It,” Academic Source #3 – chosen by student
• Final draft should be submitted in MLA format with an original title to Turnitin on the due date;TNR or Arial, size
Last Updated on February 28, 2018 by EssayPro