Case #1: Scharadin Hotels: Operations Management
Consider the background information and data given in the “Scharadin Hotels” case (page 230 in the 6th edition of the textbook, page 243 in the 5th edition). Assume you are Scott Schultz, the head of operations, and do the analysis Larraine Scharadin asks him to perform. Then write a memo addressed to Larraine and the other staff members with your analysis and recommendations.
The memo should include (but is not limited to):
• A summary of the issue under investigation
• An explanation of the type of control chart you selected for this case.
• The control chart itself, created in Excel, showing the data collected
• Conclusions based on the chart regarding the source of the problem and the overall level
• Recommendations of further actions for improving quality.
The memo should be 2 – 3 pages long including any displays (graphs, tables, etc.). Students are encouraged to work on this assignment in teams (no more than three students per team!). The write-up will be evaluated on both the analysis and the presentation (including spelling and language)