Scholarly Paper on Family Health
- To increase understanding of the relational impacts of illness on multiple family members, and family relationships (subsystems).
- To apply family lifecycle development theory to the family illness narrative depicted in “Marvin’s Room.”
- To critically explore a family’s illness narrative, including key aspects of illness suffering, strength, and growth, based on course concepts.
The paper is to be 8 pages. The paper is to be double spaced and it is to be written using APA 6th ed. formatting. Students are to include 4 scholarly references. 300 word Abstract including thesis statement.
Please watch this video carefully to complete this assignment.
Analysis of family dynamics in the context of serious illness as depicted in the movie “Marvin’s Room.” Can be viewed on-line at: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Movie+Marvin%27s+Room&&view=detail&mid=81C363E18818B3EEDB6C81C363E18818B3EEDB6C&FORM=VRDGAR
Specific Content of the Scholarly Paper: The following specific components must be addressed within the context of the paper.
- a) Relational Impacts of Illness: After viewing the movie, “Marvin’s Room”, discuss three
relational impacts Bessie’s diagnosis of leukemia had on this family. Complete a family
genogram (Wright & Leahey, 2009) based on the characters within the movie (estimate the
family members’ ages). Include the genogram as an appendix in the paper. Refer to the
genogram in your discussion related to the relational impacts of this illness on family life.
- b) Family Lifecycle Development: Identify the family lifecycle stage(s) for the following family group – Lee, Hank and Charlie. What are the key psychosocial challenges families in this
lifecycle stage face? What are the unique challenges facing Lee, Hank, and Charlie? Within
your discussion, articulate the influence that Bessie’s illness has on this family’s lifecycle stage
- c) Who is suffering the most in this family? Identify and discuss which family member you
believe suffers the most in relation to Bessie’s illness. Provide a clear rationale for your
choice, and discuss the family relationship(s) that has/have had the greatest impact on that
family member’s suffering.
- d) Family Strengths and Growth: Identify and discuss one family strength and one experience
of growth portrayed in the movie. Discuss the identified strength and experience of growth from
a relational perspective. Imagine you are a nurse working with this family, and develop a
commendation for one or more family member(s) based on the family strength or experience
of growth that you have discussed.
In the conclusion of the paper, discuss how this assignment will impact your future nursing practice.
Last Updated on