Written Response #1Questions on Chapter 2THEORIES and THINKING ABOUT DIVERSITY.
Answer the questionson key concepts from Chapter 2 listed below. Read and evaluate the Organizational Feature 2.1 on pages 54-55 “Negative Consequences of Bad Check Accusation” and answer questions 1-3. “Mini-research” on diversity programs.
Written responses must be typed, size 12 font, double spaced and written in proper English in complete sentences or bullet points accompanied by narrative sentences. Question/answer format should be used. For each question, answer sufficiently to demonstrate thought and understanding (One sentence answers will not be sufficient).
Grading criteria: total possible points 20 (score represents 5% of total grade in the course) Estimated total length of assignment 3-4 pages.
CONCEPT QUESTIONS (10 points in total; points as indicated for each question)
1) According to Dworkin and Dworkin, what are the four factors which distinguish “minority” or “non-dominant groups”? (2 points)
2) What are stereotypes? Discuss the difference between prescriptive stereotyping and descriptive stereotyping. Give an example (other than the one in the textbook) of each type of stereotype. (3 points)
3)How can stereotyping negatively affect diversity in organizations? What can individuals and organizations do to reduce people’s propensity to stereotype and to act on stereotypes? (2 points)
4) Describe attribution error. Discuss how this type of error can lead to flawed perceptions and create disadvantage for non-dominant groups. (3 points)
ORGANIZATIONAL FEATURE: Evaluate thecase 2.1 on pages 54-55 “Negative
Consequences of Bad Check Accusation“and answer questions listed in the text as
1,2, and 3 and restated below as questions 5,6, and 7. (6 points in total; points as indicated for
5) What assumptions might the store manager have made about Mr. Pitts? (2 points)
6) Given the risk of retaliation from management if found out, what factors may have motivated the Black store employees to tell Mr. Pitts that other customers had processed large checks without hassle? (2 points)
7) What specific procedures could be implemented at stores so this kind of thing does not occur? (2 points)
MINI-RESEARCH: Attentionhasrecently been focused on the lack of diversity in many high-tech companies. Select a company from the high-tech industry (e.g. Google, Facebook, Microsoft, etc. or similar) and research what the company is doing to promote diversity. Two paragraph minimum answer (4 points)