Assignment 3 a: Threats to the Global Environment
Congratulations! The United Nations has hired you as a consultant on global issues.
Many of the UN members are not satisfied with the progress of the Millennium Development Goals. They feel that the goals focus on the wrong issues. There is a disconnect between what issues the UN developed countries believe are priorities and what many developing countries feel the prioritized issues should be. For example, the country of Burundi has asked that one of the goals be focused on food security. Austria, however, is adamant that the major current global issue is to mediate ceasefires in countries in the midst of a civil war.
You have been asked to provide an unbiased perspective and identify the four issues you feel most impact the global environment. You will present your findings at the next UN General Assembly. Your goal is to provide a history of each issue, the number of countries affected, and the effects of this threat to the world population.
Of the eight major threats listed below, choose the four that you consider the most critical.
|Energy sources||Civil war|
|Globalization||Poor health of entire populations|
|Lack of educational opportunities||Cultural taboos|
|Inappropriate uses of technology||Climate change|
For your presentation to the United Nations:
- Develop a minimum of four slides per issue for a minimum total of 16 slides.
- Provide at least a paragraph on each slide (in the notes section) to explain the reason this information is relevant to the UN’s assessment.
- To review how to do any of the required assignment deliverables in PowerPoint, please refer to your Lynda.com account or reach out to your instructor ahead of time.
- For each issue, create a graph or chart to analyze the data you have collected.
- Cite at least five credible sources excluding Wikipedia, dictionaries, and encyclopedias.
The format is different compared to other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details. (Note: You’ll be prompted to enter your Blackboard login credentials to view these standards.)
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Examine the factors that account for why the growth in the world’s population can negatively affect global society.
One Breath at a Time
This week you watched three videos, each on a topic of pollution. Of these three types of pollution, which do you believe you could influence most? Which would be the most manageable at the individual level? Explain your reasoning.
Last Updated on March 1, 2019 by Essay Pro