Brusseau, J. (2012). Business Ethics. New York, NY: 2012 Book Archive Project
- Chapter 2: Theories of Duties and Rights
- Chapter 3: Theories of Consequence Ethics
For this PART 1:
Please read the case study entitled Lottery that you find in the reading assignment, attaced.
Based on what you have learned in this unit, answer the following questions:
- How is the lottery an example of the utilitarian monster?
- How can you set yourself up to argue in favor of or against the ethical existence of the lottery in terms of monetized utilitarianism?
- Lotteries are about money and about fun—that is, even for the losers, there’s a benefit in the thrill of watching the numbers turn up. Could the case be made that, from a hedonistic utilitarian standpoint, the lottery is ethically recommendable because it serves the welfare not only of the winner but also of the millions of losers?
- One of Lindsay Beyerstein’s concerns is that the lottery tends to redistribute money from the poor toward the rich. Does a utilitarian necessarily consider this redistribution unethical?
Please write an essay of complete and well composed paragraphs (250 word minimum for the entire essay) Be sure to use in text citation and provide references for your sources. Wikipedia is not a source.
For this PART 2:
Please read the case study entitled Pirates that you find in the reading assignment.
Afterwards read the chapter 5 “Of Property” from John Locke’s The Second Treatise of Government and A Letter Concerning Toleration:
Please discuss this reading material in light of this case study and the reading assignments for this unit.
Locke, J. (2003). Two treatises of government: And a letter concerning toleration. Shapiro, I. (Ed.). New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press.
Be sure to use in text citation and provide references for your sources. Wikipedia is not a source.
Last Updated on September 13, 2018 by EssayPro