This assignment must be written as an essay (with an Introduction, Body, Conclusion, complete sentences, etc.) and not simply one-line answers to the questions below. Choose ONEof the following online speeches (see links below) and write a critique (an evaluation) on the speech you have selected, touching on all seven areas below, and using the questions below as your guide. All papers must be typed using an 11- or 12-point font, double-spaced, and with flush-left margins (no justified text) and paragraph breaks. Your essay should run 2-3 pages (no more than 3 full pages).
DisneyWorld for the Kid at Heart (6:55)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZi09HCy1w – What happened at New Orleans’ Danziger Bridge (7:19)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II46cA_j0tM&list=PLCCFAA6BDA91F1604&index=38&t=0s – Music in Film (5:46)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmROgNyyJjI&list=PL_Zgq0nGXuAoIswifNMocFGRIMdEeJROv&index=2&t=0s – Afro-textured Hair (6:11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU9ypd9Xxjo – Informative speech on ALS (4:51)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRZ5AAvPVkA&list=PL_Zgq0nGXuApukwqT3DKxu6LOX_wdOyIB&index=7&t=0s – Victoria Woodhull (7:08)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEDSF15HVBc – Nap Time (6:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVL0JNJBBEM — Pro-Vaccination (8:18)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyD7nzMCyU – Animal Testing (5:23)
OR watch one of the following speeches through MINDTAP:
Chapter 16: Flag Etiquette by Cindy Gardner
Chapter 17: Together, We Can Stop Cyber-bullying by Adam
- Subject and Purpose
What is the general purpose of the speech? Is the purpose of this speech clear? Is the subject worthwhile and/or relevant? Please explain.
- The Thesis and Key Points
- Is the speech’s thesis(that is, the main ideaof the speech) clear and limited to one main idea? What is the thesis of this speech?
- Are the key pointsof the speech clearly related to the thesis? What are they(No matter whether the speaker has stated them or not, what do you believe are the key points of this speech? Are the key points sufficiently narrow? Explain.
- Is the speech adequately researched? How do you know? Name some specific references/citations the speaker mentions.
- Has the speaker properly referenced his/her research data in the body of the speech? Explain, and give specific examples.How do you feel when a speaker cites his or her sources?
- Does the speaker have a good understanding of the subject and specific points? How do you know?
- Did the speaker provide enough evidence to back up and support each key point? Explain your point of view.
- How well is the speech organized? Does it have an introduction, a body, and a conclusion? If not, what improvement(s) do you suggest?
- How does the speaker grab the audience’s attention? What type of attention-getter did the speaker use? Can you describe the attention-getter?Was it effective? Why, or why not? Explain. Also, evaluate the speaker’s “Reason to Care;” is the speaker’s reason to care clear?
- How well does the speaker previewthe speech for the audience, letting them know what to expect? Explain.
- Does the speaker summarize the thesis and key points of his/her speech in the conclusion? Is the closing statement effective? Explain.
- Are there adequate transitions, so the audience can follow the presentation more easily? Explain,and provide examples.
- Delivery – Evaluating the speaker’svisualand vocal elements of delivery
- How well does the speaker maintain eye contact with the audience? Explain.
- Describe and evaluatethe speaker’s overall posture, gestures, movements, and other body actions. Explain.
- Describe and evaluatethe speaker’s overall confidence level when delivering the presentation. Explain.
- How is the speaker’s voice volume and rate of speech? Is the speaker easy to understand? Does the speaker pronounce words carefully? Does the speaker frequently fill their pauses with “um,” “uh,” “you know,” etc.? If so, how does this make you feel about the speaker?
- Does the speaker show enthusiasm (and/or passion) for the selected topic? Explain.
- Presentation Aids
What presentation aid(s) did the speaker use (if any)? How effective is the use of this presentation aid(s) in this speech? Explain.
- Suggestions for Improvement–REQUIRED
- What suggestion(s) do you have for improving the contentof this speech? Be specific; include at least ONE suggestionfor improving the content of this speech.
- What suggestion(s) do you have for improving the deliveryof this speech? Be specific; include at least ONE suggestionfor improving the delivery of this speech.
Last Updated on