The Impact of Stress on Social and Emotional Development
Week 1 – Journal
As a caregiver, you will influence the social and emotional development of the infants and toddlers in your care. While caring for infants and toddlers, you may encounter difficult situations that can be emotionally challenging.
How you handle stress impacts your overall health and well-being, as well as the well being of infants and toddlers in the environment in which you are providing care. Watch this video on dealing with children who have witnessed violence (Links to an external site.)for an example of how to respond to stressful situations. After viewing the video, submit a journal entry in which you respond to the following questions:
- How do you typically handle stress and stressful situations?
- How will you effectively communicate and express your feelings in your work with children?
- What do your responses tell you about the way you manage your stress? Is there any area of stress management you would like to improve prior to putting yourself in a setting where you are providing care to infants and toddlers?
- List two strategies that you can implement when working with children who are also experiencing stressful life situations and events.
- You are encouraged to provide an authentic reflection. Your journal must be a minimum of one page. This journal is viewed only by you and your instructor. Your journal is an informal, reflective piece that does not require citations or APA format. However, if you choose to use resources, please cite them appropriately.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your journal entries.
Last Updated on