Discussion: States’ Rights vs. Federal Jurisdiction
Please respond to the following:
Assume you are from the State of Texas. Based on this week’s scenario, the information provided below, and the knowledge gained from reading Chapters 2, 3, and 4, in your opinion present arguments for or against the following Texas law. Argue one side only.
(1) Is the State of Texas infringing on a woman’s Right to Privacy by making abortion difficult to perform in the state? Why or why not?
(2) How would you relate this law to the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade?
(3) Is this Texas law just, and does it infringe on a woman’s right to choose? Be insightful. Conduct some research.
For background information on this issue, please see the attached file.
Go to http://sffed-education.org/chairman. Use the Learn More button and review the tight (contractionary) and easy (expansionary) tools of the Fed as well as the use of each. Briefly examine the Economic Dictionary and the Policy in Depth features.
Now play the game! You are the Fed Chairperson! You begin with 16 quarters, 4 years, and then your job is up for review. You begin with rates at 4.5, inflation at 2.14% and unemployment at 4.75%.
Make decisions on interest rates for the 16 quarters. Summarize the changes you chose and explain your results. Do you still have a job? Why or why not? (Discussion must be 120 words)
Finance textbook homework:
Exercise 1: As the executive of a bank or thrift institution you are faced with an intense seasonal demand for loans. Assuming that your loanable funds are inadequate to take care of the demand, how might your Reserve Bank help you with this problem?
Problem 1: Assume that Banc One receives a primary deposit of $1 million. The bank must keep reserves of 20 percent against its deposits. Prepare a simple balance sheet of assets and liabilities for Banc One immediately after the deposit is received.
Problem 2: Assume a financial system has a monetary base of $25 million. The required reserves ratio is 10 percent, and there are no leakagesin the system. (a) What is the size of the money multiplier? (b) What will be the systems money supply?
Information and Resources
- Texas law: In the U.S. Supreme Court, case Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas Surgical Health Services v. Abbott, 13A452, the U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 for the State of Texas to enforce a strict new abortion regulation that opponents say prevents a third of the state’s clinics from performing abortion procedures. The law requires hospital-admitting privileges from doctors prior to performing abortions.
- This law forces a third of the state’s clinics to stop providing abortions. According to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Breyer, “it may substantially reduce access to safe abortions elsewhere in Texas.” Breyer cited a brief from Planned Parenthood that estimated that 20,000 women in Texas would be left without service abortions; .
- S. Constitution: The U.S. Constitution has specific rights, which are clearly stated. Alternatively, certain rights are implied and not very clear. However, over time judges have applied the following amendments such as the 1St Amendment, 3rd Amendment, 4th Amendment, 9th Amendment, and 14th Amendment to Due Process, Equal Protection and Right to Privacy.
- Roe v Wade: The U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade (1973) ruled a Texas state law that banned abortions except to save the life of the mother unconstitutional. “The Court ruled that the states were forbidden from outlawing or regulating any aspect of abortion performed during the first trimester of pregnancy, could only enact abortion regulations reasonably related to maternal health in the second and third trimesters, and could enact abortion laws protecting the life of the fetus only in the third trimester.”
- Gentle Reminder: For your primary post, make certain the questions (discussion topic) precede your responses. Write out each question, and then write your response below each question. There are two questions.
Last Updated on February 11, 2019 by EssayPro