Study Questions – Chapter 3
- Come up with your own definition of software. Explain the key terms in your definition.
- What are the functions of the operating system?
- Which of the following are operating systems and which are applications: Microsoft Excel, Google Chrome, iTunes, Windows, Android, Angry Birds.
- What is your favorite software application? What tasks does it help you accomplish?
- What is a “killer” app? What was the killer app for the PC?
- How would you categorize the software that runs on mobile devices? Break down these apps into at least three basic categories and give an example of each.
- Explain what an ERP system
- What is open-source software? How does it differ from closed-source software? Give an example of each.
- What does a software license grant?
- How did the Y2K (year 2000) problem affect the sales of ERP systems?
Study Questions – Chapter 4
- What is the difference between data, information, and knowledge?
- Explain in your own words how the data component relates to the hardware and software components of information
- What is the difference between quantitative data and qualitative data? In what situations could the number 42 be considered qualitative data?
- What are the characteristics of a relational database?
- When would using a personal DBMS make sense?
- What is the difference between a spreadsheet and a database? List three differences between them.
- Describe what the term normalization means.
- Why is it important to define the data type of a field when designing a relational database?
- Name a database you interact with What would some of the field names be?
- What is metadata?
- Name three advantages of using a data warehouse.
- What is data mining?
Last Updated on February 14, 2019 by Essay Pro