Social Structure and Social Interaction, Social Groups and Organization (CSLO 1, CSLO 2, CSLO 5)
Chapters 5 &6 (Socialization and Social Interaction and Groups, Organizations and Bureaucracies) Essay Questions
600 WORDS MINIMUM FOR EACH QUESTION
- Think of a time when you went along with an action that was ethically or legally wrong because of the group with which you belonged to. How do your experiences support or refute Janis’s characterization of groupthink and its impacts?
- What did Stanley Milgram seek to test in his human experiments at Yale University and what did he find?
- List the primary and secondary groups that you are a member of and make another list of the primary and secondary groups that you were a member of 5 years ago. Which groups in these two periods were the most important in shaping your view of yourself, your political beliefs, and your goals in life?
- According to this unit, the rate of imprisonment has risen in the United States since the 1980’s. Why are a disproportionate number of prison inmates of color?
- Labeling theories in the area of criminology suggest that labeling particular groups as deviant can set in motion a self-fulfilling prophecy (people may become that which is expected of them). What other settings can labelingtheory be applied?
Last Updated on