For this essay, please review the story of 14-year-old Emmett Till who was murdered on August 28, 1955 for saying “Bye baby” to a white woman in Mississippi.
After reading about Emmett Till, please read about the recent story of Amy Cooper who called the police on an African American man in New York who was bird watching.
Please write a minimum of 2 complete pages comparing and contrasting both events. Your paper should answer the following questions:
- What were the similarities and differences within each of these stories?
- How was white privilege evident in both of these events?
- What is the difference between overt and covert racism? Which type of racism is evident in each of these events and why? Have you ever been the victim of or perpetuated any of these forms of racism? Be sure to explain.
- When we talk about racism, we typically focus on how members of minority groups are negatively affected by it. I would like you, however, to change your point of view and discuss two ways in which you think White Americans are negatively affected by racism?
- What are two solutions to lessen the negative impact of racism on both White Americans and people of color in this country? One of these solutions must focus on what you personally will or can do to lessen this problem. The other solution must focus on a specific policy or legal change on the state or national level that you think is necessary to lessen racism in our country.
Chapter Objective Questions
Please be sure to fully answer each of these questions in complete sentences. Please note that in answering these questions you are showing me that you not only read the text, but that you understood it. Consequently, your answers should be comprehensive and detailed.
- What is the difference between racial minorities and ethnic minorities as well as the differences between prejudice and discrimination? Be sure to give an example of each.
- Discuss one way in which prejudice and bigotry are manifested in the individual and one way in which they are also manifested in social structures. Be sure to provide a solution for each of these sources of prejudice.
- What is institutional discrimination? Choose two institutions (education, housing, employment, and the justice system) and summarize how institutional discrimination is manifested in them. At the end of each summary, be sure to propose a solution to remedy this problem.
- According to the video “How to be an Antiracist,” what are the differences between being racist and being an Antiracist? Based on these definitions, how would you define yourself and why? In other words, would you be defined as a racist or an Antiracist? Be sure to explain your reasoning.