Student Assignment Instructions
Respond to the following in the form of a short essay. Your essay should consist of at least five paragraphs.
Think about Rukmani’s relationship with the land in Nectar in a Sieve. In some ways, the land functions almost as a character in Rukmani’s life. She interacts with the land much as she might interact with another member of her community. What is the relationship like? What effect does the land have on her, and how does she respond to it? In your response, describe what the land gives to Rukmani and her family. Then discuss what it takes away from her. Finally, explain how she responds to both the benefits and losses associated with the land.
Cite specific examples from the novel in your response. Use the notes you take in the Reading Guide and the questions you answer in the Student Guide to help you formulate your response.
You will hand in your completed response on the final day of this unit. Process
You should always use a process for your writing that includes planning and drafting.
To complete this assignment, you will do the following:
• Review the assignment instructions and grading criteria thoroughly. The writing assignment you complete in this unit will be graded against a rubric that assesses the essay in a number of categories. These categories focus both on the essay’s contents and its clarity.
o Read the rubric on the last page of this document. Keep the criteria listed on the rubric in mind as you complete the writing assignment.
o Remember to write in standard formal English and use the third person (no personal opinions) and the present tense.
• Complete a plan for your essay.
• Begin drafting your paper, using your plan as a guide.
• Review and revise your first draft. You should try to have another person read your work and give you
feedback as part of your revision process.
• Write the final draft of your essay. Be sure to follow these requirements and recommendations when
completing your draft: Only cite nectar in a sieve book for evidence. Quotations. use criteria attached as guide. Write a clear good thesis statement.
Last Updated on February 22, 2018 by EssayPro