Start by reading and following these instructions:
- Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
- Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
- Consider the discussions and any insights gained from it.
- Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources,
- P8-52A, page 498: Outsourcing decision given alternative use of capacity
- P8-57B, page 500: Product mix decision under constraint
- S8-8, page 480: Replace a department
- E8-47B, page 495: Sell as is or process further
How do you account for financial losses in order to maintain quality customer service, for example, a restaurant that gives a free meal to an upset customer or a company that gives repeat customers a discount? From the viewpoint of a management accountant, how would this cost be classified and how would it figure into a company’s financial statements?
- P9-58A, page 566: Cash budgets under two alternatives
- P9-60A, page 567: Budgeted income statement
- P10-50B, page 643: Prepare and interpret a performance report
- E10-39B, page 635: Prepare a flexible budget performance repor
- P11-49A, page 699: Calculate and explain direct material and direct labor variances
- P12-61B, page 773: Evaluate an investment using all four methods
Essay Question: approx. 750 words
View the TED video: Accounting for Nature
Write a 750 word essay on your reactions to this call for change in our accounting systems to truly account for the costs of production. Do you think this is realistic? What value would obtain from following the practices being proposed. Where do you think firms might struggle with this approach?
- P13-34A, page 824: Prepare a statement of cash flows (direct method)
- P14-35A, page 881: Comprehensive analysis
- E14-27B, page 877: Prepare common-size income statement
- P13-39B, page 830: Prepare statements of cash flows (indirect and direct methods)
Signature Assignment Title: Analytic Essay
Signature Assignment Directions:
In this 2000 word essay, think about an organizational improvement initiative that you would like to make in an organization of your choice. This initiative might focus on improved profitability, better customer service, new products or services, greater organizational efficiencies, cost control etc. The context for your analysis could be your current or previous work organization, religious institution, community organization or an organization that serves you as a customer. (Note this could be a Capstone related issue if you want – See PLANS Depot). What specific accounting data might best help you manage the problem or systemic issue you are addressing? What insights would such data produce? If such accounting data is not currently available, what might be done to generate such accounting metrics? How might the existing accounting data be misleading or biased in relation to the insights you are seeking?
Signature Assignment Points: 300