Directions Assignment:Literature Review Matrix
For this Assignment you will conduct a search for literature on your selected practice problem. A Literature Review Matrix template will be used to identify gaps in the literature.
- Consider the practice problem you addressed in this week’s Discussion. (The practice problem was Falls)
- Review the guidelines in the Literature Review Matrix, included in the Learning Resources.
- Formulate a research question around your issue as indicated in Part I. Then complete Part II of the Matrix, identifying the resources you will use, search terms and criteria, and Boolean search strings.
- Locate 10 articles related to your research question. At least one article must be a systematic review
- . All of the articles should be primary sources.
- Complete all parts of the Literature Review Matrix template.
- Complete Part I and Part II of the Literature Review Matrix template. (4 points)
- Complete Part III of the Literature Review Matrix. (4 points)
- In your analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the existing literature, note the appropriate use of the theoretical frameworks. (3 points)
- Complete Part IV addressing the influence of empiricism on quantitative
methodology. (4 points)
Note: Up to 3 points may be deducted for grammar, spelling, and/or APA errors.
Part I: PICO Analysis of Research Topic
P: Patient or Population
I: Anticipated Intervention
C: Comparison group or Current standard
O: Outcome desired
Source: Adapted from Elkins (2010)
Step 1: Frame your clinical question using the PICO method.
Part II: Search Strategy
Using appropriate databases, locate ten scholarly articles that pertain to a practice issue of interest to you and that is appropriate for an evidence-based practice project.
Step 1: Identify the resources you will utilize, or utilized, to find articles that pertain to your topic
|Electronic Databases||Research or Professional Organizations||Experts in the field to consult||Books, encyclopedias, handbooks|
Step 2: Identify search terms and criteria
|Key words & phrases||Major authors||Inclusion criteria||Exclusion criteria|
Step 3: Identify Boolean search strings
Part III: Analysis of Literature
Step 1: Summarize the ten (10) articles you select from your search efforts completing the table below.
|Summary Table of Analyzed Articles (you may determine your own headings)|
|Citation||Conceptual Framework/ Theory||Main finding||Research method||Strengths of study||Weaknesses||Level of Evidence|
Step 2: Briefly summarize the history and purpose of your research question.
Step 3: Analysis of strengths and weaknesses of existing literature.
Step 4: What gap exists in the current literature? Explain.
Part IV: Identify the influence of empiricism on quantitative research methodology. Discuss its applicability to evidenced-based practice projects.
- All paper assignment must be written in APA format (click here for sample APA paper: Sample APA Paper.pdf). Which means, you must have a cover/Title page (no abstract please), running head, title on the first page, introduction in the first page, at least level-one headings (use headings for each main criteria described for the paper), summary/conclusion paragraph, and a reference page. refer to this library resources and this website for reliable APA sources: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/1/
- You must have at credible references for each professional/scholarly paper. Your references must come from credible resources such as journal articles and reference books. Please do not use magazines or unsupported .com or wikis resources. Also, minimize the use of only online websites. NO PDF files from other students
- When you are writing your paper, remember your paper assignments are formal/professional/scholarly paper. So, you should NOTuse the first-person language (or use minimally when appropriate if the assignment is asking for your opinion or reflection paper). Please do not use I, I am, me, my, mine, we, us, him, our, etc…, instead, use a third-person or, for example, you can say “the organization”, “the nurses”, “the unit manager”, etc…
- Please support your arguments in your papers with providing in-text citation of your resources/references. Often students fall into stating some important facts and sometime state their professional opinion. In this case, you must cite the facts and support your professional opinion by citing some relevant or similar literature that supports your stand.
Last Updated on October 15, 2019 by Essay Pro