World Civilizations to
Paper guidelines for
Life in a Medieval Village By Frances Gies& Joseph Gies
You will write a 3–5 page paper based on your reading of Life in a Medieval Village. In your paper, answer the following questions:
- Who is the lord of Elton? How would you characterize his relationship with the village?
- What is the difference between “free” and “unfree” villagers (freemen vs villeins)?
- How would you describe the structure of the village family and relationships within?
- the family? How central is the family in village society?
- What is the relationship between the parish church and the village community?
You should use no source other than Life in a Medieval Village itself. No further research is required for this assignment.
Papers must be double-spaced using standard font and margins. Include direct quotations
sparingly. Use them only when they make a forceful point or illustrate something vital
about your perspective on the book. In other words, don’t pad your paper with
quotations to meet the length requirement for this assignment. Also, do notinclude
footnotes. If you use a quotation, put the page number of its source in parentheses at theend of the sentence containing the quotation.
Last Updated on February 19, 2018 by Essay Pro