From your required readings, choose one Supreme Court case or one educational policy pertaining to English language learners (ELLs). In a 500-750 word essay, discuss the effect that this case or policy has had on the education of ELLs. Your essay should address the following questions:
1. How has this case or policy helped contribute to the academic success of ELLs?
2. How will this case or policy help improve education for ELLs?
3. What gaps still exist?
- From the Ballot Box to the Classroom
Read “From the Ballot Box to the Classroom,” by Mora, from Educational Leadership (2009).
- The Case for Structured English Immersion
Read “The Case for Structured English Immersion,” by Clarke, from Educational Leadership (2009).
- Bilingual and ESL Classrooms: Teaching in Multicultural Contexts
Read Chapters 1-2 in Bilingual and ESL Classrooms: Teaching in Multicultural Contexts.