Respond to the assigned questions using the lessons and vocabulary found in the reading.
There are several styles of leadership. Autocratic leaders control subordinates, emphasizing that the leaders are in control. Democratic leaders work with subordinates rather than controlling them. Laissez-faire leaders might be considered nonleaders. Such leaders engage in minimal influence with subordinates.
From the various leaders you have had in the past ten years (e.g., supervisors, managers, coaches, teachers, music directors, etc.), select one who was authoritarian, one who was democratic, and one who was laissez-faire. Begin your post by describing your three leaders in three or four sentences each.
Then, select any one of the following bullet point questions (addressing all items in the bullet point you select).
- What did the leaders (i.e., autocratic, democratic, and laissez-faire) do differently to influence you? How did they use rewards and punishment differently? How did they exercise their power differently? How did others respond to the leaders’ contrasting use of power? Which exercise of power and influence seemed to be most productive? Based on what evidence?
- What were the different task-oriented behaviors used by each leader? What were the different relationship-oriented behaviors used by each leader? How did others react to the leader? Which type of leader seemed to demonstrate the most effective task and relationship behaviors? Based on what evidence?
- What were the different conflict resolution behaviors used by each leader? What was the climate, mood, or experience of organizational members surrounding conflict? How did the leader’s style contribute to the climate? Which leader seemed to demonstrate the most effective conflict resolution behaviors? Based on what evidence?
- How did the leaders communicate differently both verbally and nonverbally? How did they utilize formal versus informal methods of communication? What were the strengths and weaknesses of the various communication approaches? Which leader communicated most effectively? Based on what evidence?
- What were the different decision-making processes used by each leader? How did organizational members respond to decisions once made? How did decision making affect motivation and trust in the organization? Which decision-making practices appeared to be most effective? Based on what evidence?
Finally, complete your post with a brief evaluation of your personal leadership style
- Which style of leadership do you use?
- How do you know that your style is effective?
- What are two specific activities you could use to improve your leadership effectiveness? (Northouse, 2009, pp. 50–51).
Note: Select a different bullet point section than what your classmates have already posted so that we can engage several discussions on relevant topics. If all of the bullet points have been addressed, then you may begin to re-use the bullet points with the expectation that varied responses continue.Note: Select a different bullet point section than what your classmates have already posted so that we can engage several discussions on relevant topics. If all of the bullet points have been addressed, then you may begin to re-use the bullet points with the expectation that varied responses continue.
Your posting should be the equivalent of 1 to 2 pages (500–1000 words) in length.
Northouse, P. G. (2009). Introduction to leadership. Los Angeles, CA: Sage.
Last Updated on February 11, 2019 by EssayPro