LAW AND POLITICS
You have to answer FIVE questions in total. In all your answers, you must make connections to FILE THAT I SENT TO YOU. double-spaced pages for the whole PAGES.
- Find and watch a film dealing with a political or legal issue in Latin America. Briefly summarize the film and analyze it in light of the topics, theories, and issues discussed in class.
- Discuss the Malvinas (Falklands) Islands War. Who was involved? What was the origin of the war? What was the United States role in the war? What is the Monroe doctrine? Was it applied in the conflict? Why or why not?
- Show me how well you have achieved –all or some selected- intended learning outcomes for the course, which are listed on the course outline. You are free to choose the type and format of evidence you want in order to prove your learning and its quality. For example, you may include evidence of your best work, you may write a reflective journal entry, analyze a legal education problem, write a scenario and offer a solution, write a song, or draw a comic strip. You may, of course, use any combination of these possibilities, or even something else. But remember, I will not be assessing the selected work itself, or paper, or journal, or scenario, or whatever else you may want to supply. What I will be looking at is whether and how well you have achieved –and can perform with respect to- all or the selected learning outcomes.
- Choose the topic of a presentation other than your own and critically analyze that topic.
- A film producer wants to hire you to write the script of a new movie on any aspect of Latin American politics. So, you need to write a treatment (outline) for the
script. Be creative, it is a commercial film. You must also show the theories, topics, and discussions we had in class.
- Find three cases of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights. Summarize the cases and critically analyze them.
- Since there are more than 40 million Latinos in the United States (more than the entire population of Canada and more Spanish-language speakers than Spain), the United States (or at least some regions of the US) could be considered part of Latin America.Write a short essay supporting this premise.
- Draw a parallelism between the military coups of state in Latin America in the
1970’s and 1980’s and the regime changes in the 2000’s. What is soft toppling?
How does it work? What is the role of the media? Discuss specific regime changes in Latin America.
- What are the major differences between higher education in Latin America and Canada/US? What are the distinctive characteristics of the Latin American experience of higher education development in relation to modernization, according to Schwartzman? What factors have led to the demise of the Latin American model of higher education according to Bernasconi? What are the historic reasons why students have played a very important role in Latin American universities?
- Discuss the 1918 University Reform in Argentina and its influence in the region.
- Briefly summarize and discuss Canada’s Strategy for Engagement in Latin
America and the Caribbean.
- What are Canada’s alleged reasons for not ratifying the Inter-American Convention on Human Rights or San Jose Pact? What are the real reasons why Canada and the United States are not parties to The San Jose Pact?
- Discuss the current political situation in Venezuela. Who was Hugo Chavez? Who is Maduro? What is the Bolivarian Revolution?
Last Updated on March 24, 2018 by Essay Pro