Module 1 – Case
Introduction to Probability
Problems need to include all required steps and answer(s) for full credit. All answers need to be reduced to lowest terms where possible. If the answer is in %, show two decimal places.
Answer the following problems showing your work and explaining (or analyzing) your results. Submit your work in a typed Microsoft Word document.
- During an economic downturn, Lanier Company is forced to lay off employees. The table below breaks down the layoffs:
|2.||Being Laid Off||Not Being Laid Off||Total|
- What is the probability that an employee of Lanier is being laid off given that she/he is a non-manager? (3 pts)
- What is the probability that an employee selected at random is a manager? (3 pts)
- The following data set represents the average day temperature in Orange County, Calif., for 20 days in December.
|Degrees (in Fahrenheit)|
- Find the probability that a randomly selected day will have an average temperature of at least 60 ℉. (4 pts)
- A survey was taken to determine the birthplace of a class of students in a statistics class. Below is the data set.
|Gender||Number of Students||Birthplace|
|Male Female||6 10||San Diego San Diego|
|Male Female||12 8||Los Angeles Los Angeles|
|Male Female||5 9||San Francisco San Francisco|
- What is the probability that a student was born in Los Angeles given the student was male? (3 pts)
- What is the probability a student was born in San Diego or the student was female? (3 pts)
- What is the probability of throwing one die and getting a number greater than 5? (4pts)
- Two coins are tossed 100 times. Below is the data set:
- What is the probability of getting two heads? (3 pts)
- What is the probability of getting no heads? (3 pts)
- Broad Tire Manufacturing Company kept a record of the distance before a tire needed to be replaced. The table shows the results of 500 tires.
|Distance in miles||Less than 2,500||2,500–5,500||5,501–8,700||More than 8,700|
- If a tire is bought from this company, what is the probability that it must be replaced with less than 2,500 miles? (3 pts)
- What is the probability that it will last more than 5,500 miles? (3 pts)
- Two golfers, Phillips and Woodson, play a golf match. The probability of Phillips winning the match is 56%. What is the probability of Woodson winning the match? (4pts)
- The percentage of grades obtained by a student in five tests is given below:
|% of Grades||65||80||73||79||59|
- Find the probability of the student getting at least 70% on a test. (4 pts)
- Find the probability of correctly answering the first 5 questions on a multiple- choice test by randomly guessing the answer. Each question has 4 possible answers. (4 pts)
- One card is drawn from a deck of 52 cards, well-shuffled.
- Calculate the probability that the card will be an ace or a king. (3 pts)
- Calculate the probability the card will be a queen. (3pts)
Last Updated on September 4, 2022