Accuracy and Privacy
Prior to beginning work on this discussion read Chapter 4 from the text, the Will Your Company’s Electronic Records Storage Withstand Legal Scrutiny? (Links to an external site.) article, and review any relevant information from this week’s lecture.
One of the more important duties of a CIO, both to their company and their company’s customers, is to maintain data accurately. As a CIO, despite your best intentions, accidents and mistakes can happen (e.g., data can get corrupted, human error, hardware failure, etc.). Reusing or circulating inaccurate data, especially personal information, can have many negative consequences for the company, the customers, and for the CIO. Additionally, hackers and security threats can compromise the integrity of your company’s data. For your initial post, you will take on the role of a CIO and address the following elements for your company that manages the personal information for its 100,000 customers:
- Explain the importance of maintaining the accuracy of customers’ personal information.
- Explain how maintaining accurate personal information affects the privacy of a company’s customers.
- minimum 250 words.
Ethical Mission Statement
Prior to beginning work on this discussion read Chapter 6 from the text and the Implementing an Organizational Code of Ethics (Links to an external site.) and the Incorporating Ethics Into the Organization’s Strategic Plan (Links to an external site.) articles.
Ethics involves the assessment of an action based upon a set of values. As a CIO, what values should you or your company follow when deciding ethical questions? This question will help you or your company determine what is ethically acceptable or unacceptable. What one industry or company views as ethical another may deem unacceptable. Developing an Ethical Mission Statement can help your company navigate ethical issues.
For this interactive assignment, you are the CIO of a company and you are asked to
- Create an Ethical Mission Statement, with guiding principles, that can instruct your company on defining what ethical and non-ethical behavior is.
- Explain how the company should address non-ethical behavior.
- Explain why you, as CIO, would use this Ethical Mission Statement and set of guiding principles for your company. at least 300 words.
Prior to beginning work on this assignment read Chapters 4 and 5 from the course text and review any relevant information from this week’s lecture. Review the instructions below and research at least three additional scholarly sources and a minimum of one credible professional sources to support your statements. (Access the MISM Credible Resource Guide (Links to an external site.) for assistance with finding appropriate credible professional resources.)
As a CIO, you will be responsible for your company’s compliance with certain federal laws. Additionally, there may be several industry-regulated standards or guidelines that your company may voluntarily follow which may add security and/or social benefit to the management of your company’s data. In this scenario, you are the CIO of a publicly-traded American corporation that provides health care consulting to families who are seeking international medical treatment for their children. The company automatically charges its customers on a monthly basis from their credit card, debit card, or bank account using personal financial data that the company stores and manages. For this assignment, you will analyze federal laws as well as a voluntary, industry-based set of standards that pertain to data management. Select a minimum of three federal laws and one voluntary-based set of standards and include the elements below. For this assignment, you do not need to consider the implications of any state specific laws.
- Provide a brief overview of each federal law and the voluntary industry-based standard.
- Analyze legal issues regarding data management and describe how the company must comply with each federal law and the voluntary, industry-based standard.
- Explain the legal and/or financial consequences to the company for non-compliance of each federal law and the voluntary industry-based standard.
The Federal Compliance paper
- Must be six pages (1800-2000 words) in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least three scholarly sources and one credible professional source in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.
Last Updated on March 27, 2020 by Essay Pro