You will continue to work on the impact of climate change in a specific location. Keep track of your work since it will be important for your final project!
In WEEK 2 you chose a location and made some predictions about what would happen if temperature were to increase or decrease.
This week, you will explore some web resources to make PREDICTIONS OR HYPOTHESES about how specific characteristics in your location might change if global temperature were to increase or decrease.
PLEASE NUMBER YOUR RESPONSES!
- First, remind me (and you!): What location did you choose?
Explore these websites: (NOTE: The list of sites sites archived in Jan. 2017 to work around very recent changes to federal government websites)
- EPA U.S. Climate Change.
- Explore the impact of changing climate on regions in the U.S. https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/climate-impacts/climate-change-impacts-region_.html
- Explore the potential for adaptation to climate change in the U.S. https://www.epa.gov/arc-x
- Read summaries of impacts in regions around the world. https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/climate-impacts/international-climate-impacts_.html
- National Climate Assessment. Click on REGIONS to explore impacts in U.S. http://nca2014.globalchange.gov/highlights/overview/overview
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Explore temperature and precipitation data for U.S. cities (click “Display Trend”). https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/
- Explore climate data sets from around the world. https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/wdcmet/data-access-search-viewer-tools
- Union of Concerned Scientists. Explore climate change impacts around the world. http://www.climatehotmap.org/
- Find another website that contains EVIDENCE related to climate change in the location you have chosen. Provide the URL and a description of that website.
- Scientists generally agree that Earth’s average global temperature is increasing right now. Although average global temperature may be increasing, some locations may actually experience decreases in temperature. Use the websites ABOVE to figure out if your location’s temperature is going up or down in the NEXT 50 YEARS.
3a. Will the average temperature at your location be higher or lower in the NEXT 50 YEARS than it is today?
- Based on the provided websites and your fourth website: Make predictions about how temperature change in the NEXT 50 YEARS will impact at least FOUR of the following categories.
YOU MAY HAVE TO DO A LITTLE RESEARCH TO FIND OUT WHAT THESE CHARACTERISTICS ARE LIKE TODAY IN YOUR LOCATION!
An example of what I am looking for – you need to write at least FOUR of these!
PRECIPITATION: I predict that East Lansing will experience more severe droughts. I predict this because SPECIFIC WEBSITE indicates that East Lansing will have higher temperature in the next 50 years. An increase in temperature can be associated with an increase in droughts.
4a. Water Resources
4e. Outdoor Recreation
4f. Environmental Human Health
4g. Other Category – choose another phenomenon that you think might change based upon the evidence you have uncovered