Assignment 3: Historical Basis of Standards
- MLA or APA format (cover page not required), which includes typed, double-Spaced, 1 inch margins
- Minimum two full pagesnot including Works Cited/References
- Includes a Works Cited (MLA) or References (APA) page
- Includes at least four references/citations to focus article
Historical Basis of Standards:
Assignment Overview: Each student is required to identify a technology that was either recently introduced or about to be introduced where the technology had both positive and negative impacts upon people or institutions. A specific technology’s impact upon work environment, institutions, organizations or society. Each student will be required work independently to assess the technology’s impacts.
Step 1: Identify one current event article (within the past 4 years) related to any of the following:
- Recently introduced Technology(ies) with impact upon society / people
- Workplace specific technologies,
- Technology with potential Intellectual Property, Patent or Cybersecurity concerns
- Technology with Privacy and / or Free Speech concerns
Step 2: Using the article address the following 6 topics: *note the answers to some of these questions may require additional resources/research. Be sure to cite and include additional sources in the References/Works Cited section of your paper.
- What technology-based standards are presently used by governments, institutions, or organizations to govern this technology? [Is this technology controlled or monitored by the government? Is anyone governing the technology?]
- What is the new technology and how did it evolve (historical basis)? What is the background/history/context/ legal precedent? [Example, historical basis for smart phones can be followed through the evolution of land-line phones, to mobile phones, to smart phones]
- Discuss the benefits and disadvantages of this technology upon society?
- Identify segments, groups or populations within society that are negatively impacted by the introduction of the technology, and discuss what gaps or measures should be taken [Example, with the development of self-check-out technology, who was hurt? What can be done to prevent massive unemployment for cashiers?]
- Identify segments, groups or populations within society that are most benefited by the technology [Example, with the development of printers, who benefitted?]
- What ethical issues can you identify that could be a result of this new technology?
|Criteria/Scale||6-Exemplary||3-Meets Expectations||1-Needs Improvement||0-Inadequate|
Paper Formatting & Style
· MLA or APA formatting
· Works Cited/References
|Paper meets or exceeds required page length; 2 to no MLA or APA errors; Includes Works Cited/References page. References focus article 4 times or more||Paper meets required page length; 3 to 4 MLA or APA errors; Includes Works Cited/References page.
References focus article 4 times.
|Paper meets required page lengths, 5 to 6 MLA or APA errors; Includes Works Cited/References page.
References focus article at least 1 time.
|Paper does not meet required page length, and/or, more than 6 MLA or APA errors, and/or, no Works Cited/References page. No references to focus article.|
Grammar & Mechanics
|Paper is free of distracting errors in grammar, spelling, or punctuation.||Paper is easy to read. Few distracting errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation.||Some parts are difficult to read due to errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Some errors are present.||Difficult to read due to errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation; Errors are frequent.|
|Content||Paper comprehensively evaluates, all 6 topics noted above.||Paper addresses all 6 topics noted above.||Paper attempts to answer, but is not centrally focused on all 6 topics noted above. Or, paper only answers some, not all, topics.||Paper does not answer or address all 6 topics noted above.|
|Organization||Paper is clearly and logically organized, with a high degree of attention to the transition of ideas through the paper.||Paper is coherent and organized. Transition words are used to move through ideas.||Paper is coherent and organized. Few transition words are used. Some content appear misplaced.||Paper has no clear or logical organization.|
|Tone &Language||Tone is developed, clear and focused on intended audience; Vocabulary is diverse and used appropriately.||Tone is clear and mostly focused on intended audience; Vocabulary is varied and used appropriately with few errors.||Tone exhibits some focus on intended audience; Vocabulary is simple and used appropriately with few errors.||Tone is underdeveloped and lacks any focus on intended audience, and/or, Vocabulary is simple with frequent errors.|
Total Possible Points = 30
Last Updated on September 22, 2019 by EssayPro